Disillusion

"Welcome home," Carter said as she approached the two men, hugging them and kissing each of their cheeks. "I hope you don't mind, but I brought a friend over."

"Oh, the poor boy," the first man sighed. As tall and firm as he was, the dark brown hair and long beard gave off the illusion that he was both taller and more muscular than he was. While his sky blue eyes were bright, the scar beneath the right eye that ran down his cheek was far more prominent. His coveralls were covered in grease and oil from spending another day fixing cars. 

He stepped up to the record player and lifted the needle from its place. "No one should be forced to listen to ABBA."

"Bitch, you were the one who taught her," the other man stated. While he wasn't as tall as the bearded man, he was still taller than Carter. His jet-black hair curled on top of his head, matching the soft scruff on his chin. The lights from the living room reflected off the multiple piercings and hoops in his ears which matched the silver necklace resting over his plaid tie.

"I know. But you can't just force someone to listen to ABBA. You have to ease them into it," the bearded man said.

"And even that doesn't always work," Xander scoffed. Both men stared at him in confusion. "You tell them they have other stuff that's good, but they don't care, because the moment they hear "Dancing Queen," they instantly call you gay and diminish your taste in music."

The bearded man stared at Xander, impressed. "You speak from experience?"

"Only one of my friends knows I like ABBA- Well, two now that I have a buddy who likes them as much as I do," he smirked, nudging Carter's shoulder with his.

"So, you'd consider them one of the greatest bands of all time?"

"I think they're just the greatest band period."

"I like this kid," he said to Carter as he stepped close to them. Holding out his grime coated hand to Xander, he smiled and said, "My name is Henry Knowles. I'm Carter's dad."

"Nice to meet you," he excitedly said.

"And that's my husband, Terry."

"Husband?" Xander whispered in sudden fear.

"What? You have a problem with that?"

"Dad," Carter warned.

"Not at all, sir," Xander quickly said. "I just wish I didn't say the gay thing a second ago. Oh, God, you must think I'm a dick. I'm so sorry-"

"Shut up, kid," Henry chuckled, wrapping an arm around his neck and ruffling his hair. "Do you know how many times someone used gay as a slur to me when I told them I liked ABBA?"

"A lot?"

"A lot. I get it. I hate it when people say it, but they do. ABBA is a great band, and when they imply that only gay people listen to it, it does, sadly, diminish their music. But I agree with you that ABBA is one of the best bands of all time. It was why I taught Carter about them when she was little. Only she's now the super fan instead of me."

"It still amazes me how much she loves them," Terry chuckled. "Oh, and sweetheart, we have something for you outside."

Turning to Xander, Carter said, "I'll be right back," and followed her dads outside.

Walking up to Terry's silver Coupe, Carter slipped her hands into her pockets as he opened the trunk. "I have to say, it's an...interesting surprise to see your friend here."

"You say it like it's a bad thing," she awkwardly replied. "Is it because he's a boy?"

"No. We have no problem with you having boys over. You're free to make your own decisions, but..."

"But what?" Carter urged.

Henry and Terry glanced at each other, shrugging awkwardly. "Does he know about you?"

That question meant a lot of different things, but to Carter, there was only one thing prominent on her mind: Did they know? They were her dads, so it wouldn't have surprised them if they suddenly seemed to know about Carter being gender neutral, but with the way they were mentioning it, it didn't seem very positive. They wanted to know if Xander knew, because then it would mean they would have to address it. And if they hadn't addressed it to them before, it was because they didn't want to think about their child being transgender.

Carter couldn't believe it was happening. All her work with Regina to psych herself up was gone, and she wondered if her parents would ever see her in a non-disgusting way. But before she let the horrible thoughts take control, she asked, "Know what?"

"That you're...you know?" Henry slowly said, wanting her to come out to them.

Carter stared at the ground in shame.

"Honey, you know there's nothing to be ashamed of," Terry encouraged. "There are a lot more aromantic people in this world than you think."

Carter snapped her head up, jerking her gaze between both her dads in confusion. "What do you mean I'm aromantic? I'm not aromantic."

They stared at her surprised. "You're not?"

"No!"

"But...you hate romance."

"Yeah, I hate romantic things, but that doesn't mean I'm aromantic. It just means I'm not a romantic. I can have romantic connections- But-but that has nothing to do with Xander back there."

"It doesn't?"

"No," she groaned. "We're just friends. We both like ABBA, so we hit it off. I'm not looking to date anyone, and he'll probably find someone to date in the next few weeks. We're just friends."

Henry and Terry glanced at each other and slowly nodded, sucking in their lips in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, honey," Henry said. "We assumed, and that wasn't right. You're absolutely right that you're not a romantic person, and that doesn't automatically mean you're aromantic. We're sorry for inferring."

"It's fine," she sighed.

"But if you're not aromantic, then why did you look so ashamed when we asked if your friend knew?" Terry questioned.

Eyes bugging out of her head, Carter quickly glanced to the sidewalk and chuckled to herself. "I thought you were trying to shame me for being a virgin," she lied.

"Oh, we'd never shame you for taking your time. Go at your own paste."

Her parents may have thought that now, but if they knew Carter was not a virgin, she knew they'd give her something to feel really ashamed about.

Vote, comment, share!