Slowly

The moment Ryan suggested forming a gay-straight alliance for their school, Carter was instantly on board. The two stayed in Steak and Shake for another few hours, both ordering dinner as they began to formulate how to get one started. Wanting it to be their graduation gift for their school, Ryan and Carter began to discuss the details on how to get it started for the following year. Wanting it to be a bimonthly club meeting that anyone regardless of sex, gender, or sexuality could join, they strived to create a safe space for people to be themselves and learn how to stand up for one another.

If they were able to get everything together before the end of the month, there was a chance to formulate three meetings before the end of the year. Depending on the turnout, they'd have people willing to come back the next semester, and then the two would have created a GSA for their school to make sure what happened to Ryan wouldn't happen to anyone else.

The very next day, Ryan and Carter met at school early to talk to Mr. Karnowski, the design teacher. He may have been a straight man in his fifties, but he was very open and vocal about his support of the LGBTQ+ community. If anyone could help make students feel safe and welcomes in a gay-straight alliance, it would be him. If he would be willing to host bimonthly club meetings, the club would be a major success. The two were sure he'd convince more teachers to join, but if anyone could be the head supervisor of the club, he was their top pick.

After explaining the club they created less than twelve hours ago, Mr. Karnowski nodded and smiled wide. "I'd need to talk to the principal about this, as well as some other faculty, but I love this idea. I'd be more than happy to help out with such a worthy cause. Thursdays would be the best day for me to do it, if we can get it. But even if we have to start at this time next year, I will continue to fight to make this club a reality."

"If you have any questions about it, feel free to email us," Ryan said, and Carter quickly nodded. "We want to do whatever we can to help make this happen."

"Thank you, girls, for coming in. I will do my best."

"Thank you, sir, but neither of us are female," Carter stated.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He laughed and pointed at himself. "See? Even this old man needs to work harder at it."

Waving goodbye to Mr. Karnowski, Carter and Ryan walked down the hall as more students began to arrive at school.

"That went a lot better than I thought it would," Carter stated.

"I'm honestly relieved," Ryan exhaled. "I really wanted this to be a success, and even if it doesn't happen this year, at least we know someone is going to try to make it happen next year. I just wish we could be there to see it through."

"I get it. I wish I could, too, but we came up with the idea a little too late. It just reminds me why I need to try really hard to make my brand be known for its LGBT inclusivity."

"Brand?"

"Fashion brand. I want to create clothes that blend gender norms and make it more about the fashion itself instead of the body that wears it."

"Like you did for the fashion show."

"Exactly. My ultimate goal is to one day own my own nonprofit LGBTQ+ charity that helps remove LGBT kids from the streets after being kicked out their homes by owning my own fashion brand that gives half the proceeds to said charity. I just really want to do what I can to help, you know?"

"If anyone can make something like that, I believe in you," Ryan stated. "After all, you and Dante did create your own fashion show, and your clothes are outstanding. If you don't get the scholarship, I'll be shocked. You deserve to go to fashion school, and I really, really hope that you can make your charity a reality."

"Thanks, Ryan," Carter said, nudging their elbow into his chest. "What about you? What do you plan to do after graduation?"

"I'll most likely go to community college, maybe get a business degree. I'm not entirely sure. I just want to work a nice job that won't discriminate against me that pays nice, too, so one day I can get the money I need to transition."

"Well, if you ever need a job, feel free to apply for my business." They winced. "Although, Dante and Trevor plan to work together."

"Really?" he gasped.

"They've been talking about it for a while," they vaguely responded. "Dante and I will run the company and make the clothes while Trevor runs the business side. If enough time has passed and you're cool working for him, feel free to apply."

Despite what Ryan knew Jessica would say to taking the proposition, he decided to nod and smile instead. "I'll consider it."