Gonna Sing You My Love Song

Ryan walked down the driveway towards his mailbox, hoping his new jacket had come in the mail. He smiled when he spotted the package by the mailbox, and he glanced over at Carter, who stood by their own mailbox. An envelope was crushed in their hands, and they stared at it in a mild panic.

"What happened? Did you get jury duty?" Ryan teased as he approached Carter.

They held up the letter and forced a smile. "It's from the Illinois Institute of Art. It's regarding whether or not I got the scholarship from the fashion show I did in March."

"Did you get it?"

"I don't know. I've kind of been too nervous to even think about opening it."

"Too afraid to be alone in case it's bad news?"

"Yeah," they sighed. "And since it's just going to be a letter explaining the guidelines of everything instead of some welcome package you'd get from the college, I have no idea if it's good or bad news."

"Well...open it and find out. Might as well put you out of your misery."

Carter nodded, still making no move to open the envelope.

Chuckling, Ryan stepped closer to Carter and peered over their shoulder. "Whenever you're ready, I'm here."

After everything that happened between them and Ryan, it felt surreal to have him be the one person they needed in order to get a grip and open the envelope. Just months ago, he was making it known that he had feelings for Xander. Instead, they were with him, and Ryan was about to start dating their best friend. They liked the way things turned out instead.

Pulling out the letter, Carter unfolded it and read it aloud. "Dear, Carter Knowles. I want to personally thank you for inviting me to your fashion show Andromeda earlier this year. Out of all of the shows I saw, yours made the biggest impression on me. I know that if you decide to go into the world of fashion, you are going to make bold and risky choices that will overall help blur the lines between feminine and masculine fashion. If anyone can do it, you're one of many I can think of that can accomplish it.

"However, in order for you to be able to make strides in the world of fashion, you need the ability and resources to get there. So I am very happy to be the one to have your back and give you the money for a full ride scholarship to the Illinois Institute of- Oh, my God, I got the scholarship!"

Ryan cheered with Carter, hugging them tightly and rocking wildly back and forth. He leaned over their shoulder and continued to read the letter listing everything that Carter needed to do in order to get the scholarship money and get started.

"See!" he exclaimed. "I told you, you were the one who deserved that scholarship."

Carter covered their face with their hands, pulling away to fan their eyes. "I can't believe I'm actually going to be going to fashion school. I didn't think I'd actually get to."

"Hey, it's okay to cry," Ryan cooed.

"We need to celebrate. I'm calling everyone, and we're going," they stated as they pulled their phone out. "Dante and I will be making our fashion dreams a reality! You're coming too, right?"

Ryan was taken aback. "You want me to come?"

"Of course," they smiled. "After everything that's happened, it only makes sense that we're now friends. Especially if you plan on dating Regina. I have to keep my eye on you," they laughed. "So, come on. You'll be welcomed with open arms."

After years of wondering whether or not someone would ever be able to love him for being himself, he found himself in a situation where he'd be loved by five different people. Five people who at first seemed as though they had nothing in common, but actually had everything they needed in order to remain friends.

Ryan wanted that. He knew that if he were to take Carter's hand and be welcomed into their little group, he'd be loved and accepted by everyone. It was all he'd ever wanted, so he happily took a step forward and agreed to go out that night.