Mamma Mia

'Hey, we need to talk. Are you available?' 

Trevor sent the text via Instagram messaging. As much as he would have preferred to save Dante's number to his contacts, his parents would try to snoop through his phone to make sure he wasn't texting his sister every so often. He made sure his Instagram account would never be saved on his phone, and he only used a fake account whenever he wanted to text Dante or Kennedy. He couldn't lose his only contact to either of them.

He sat at the coffeeshop by his house, sipping a latte as he scrolled through his phone. It was always a challenge to want to stay home when his parents were there, especially after a match. The only reason his parents didn't tell him to quit swimming was because it was able to get him a scholarship. If it weren't for college, he would have been forced to join a different club. Even the Video Game Club would have been better, because at least he'd be clothed and away from all peeping eyes.

Trevor liked to think that his parents loved him, and deep down he was sure it was true. But the moment they'd find out he was gay, they'd stop liking him. His parents would love him because they were his parents, but they wouldn't like him anymore. That was worse, because while the love was forced, the liking was a choice.

The chair across Trevor slid back, and he glanced up with alert eyes to watch Jacob McCoy sit in front of him. Jacob stared directly into his eyes, folding his hands in front of him and tapping his index fingers against his knuckles.

"I like your shoelaces," he stated.

Trevor sucked in his lips before glaring at him. He refused to say it. "What do you want?"

Jacob chuckled. "Man, I thought for sure that that would get you. It's not like anyone else here knows what we're talking about unless they're like us."

"Or maybe they're not, and they know it, and will hate you for it."

"Me? Oh, damn, I guess I was wrong then." Patting the table, Jacob smiled and nodded. "Well, that's on me then. But I do hope you don't hate your gay brothers, sisters, and nonbinary siblings."

"I don't." Glancing around the coffeehouse, making sure no one was listening in, he added, "My parents, however, do."

Nodding subtly, Jacob brought his hand up to cover his mouth. "I'm so sorry."

"It's even worse when your gay sister was kicked out for being herself." While he may not have been close to Jacob, Trevor did feel as though he could confide in him. Jacob had been out since sixth grade, announcing he didn't care about what others said because the only problem with him marrying a boy at the time was that he was currently in sixth grade and that he wouldn't always be.

"Oh, God," he whimpered, dropping his head.

"So, no, I'm not gay. That would basically be suicide for me. It's not like they ever liked me more than her anyway."

"Trevor, it's okay," Jacob promised. "I didn't know things were so bad at home."

"It's not like I go around telling people."

"Well thank you for trusting me. It won't be wasted." He scooted his chair closer and patted Trevor's shoulder. "I'm here if you ever need to talk about your sister. I have to say it's a surprise since I thought she had a crush on that one guy we go to school with."

Trevor rolled his eyes. "No. Nothing was going on between them. They may have flirted and had a connection but...no, nothing happened."

"Well, if she ever goes bi, I'm pretty sure he would be interested. I mean," Jacob gushed, "you should have seen the way he looked at her. It was the most beautifully pure expression. That is, until he looked as though he was going to pounce her."

"No one else saw that, did they?"

"No. Just me. I can't help but stare at that guy. I think he's pretty cute, but since he seems to like your sister, I don't think I have a chance."

"I'm confused now."

"Trust me, you know what I mean," he chuckled. "And it's okay. I'd rather be with someone who wants to look at me that way right now."

"I hope you find someone who does."

"Yeah, me too." Jacob stood up. "But seriously, if you ever want to talk, just know I'm here. My house is a safe space to talk about literally anything with no judgement. It's what happens when you live a very bohemian life."

"I might have to come by sometime. It sounds a lot less stressful than where I live."

"Text me anytime. I always respond."

Trevor's phone buzzed in front of him, and he saw a response from Dante. 'No one's home. Come over whenever.'

"I have to go."

"Anywhere I can drop you off?"

"I have my car. I'll just see you Monday at practice."

"See you Monday," Jacob said as he exited the coffeehouse, waving goodbye to Trevor.