Tiger

It's said that the best way to start anything is with a big bang. One of the most important relationships of Carter Knowles' life started with a big bang. Actually, it was more of a punch, but it sparked a debate across her school about a student's ability to be out and proud about who they are. But before this relationship began, there was another. A more romantic one. And that one started off with a secret.

'Tiger' was probably Carter's favorite ABBA song of all time. She considered it to be her theme song. If her classmates replaced the word 'tiger' with 'witch', then it would be far more appropriate.

I am behind you, I'll always find you

I am the witch

Despite 'Tiger' being an ABBA masterpiece, she enjoyed replacing the word with witch. It gave her confidence as she walked down the hall, prompting her to smirk as she watched her classmates turn away in either fear or disgust.

In no way was Carter a witch. She was merely goth with a witch-like aesthetic. Her hair was short and purple, her clothes were always black, flowy, and elegant. Her nails were short and sharpened to look like claws, scaring the underclassmen who knew only her reputation. Her makeup was always dark, and her lips were always black or crimson. Yes, she was scary to look at, and she basked in that glory.

"Hey, fatso, why would you curse us by showing your skin?" a prep snarked as he walked past her.

Carter never cared about how her body looked. Was she on the larger side? Yes. Was that a bad thing? Not in the slightest. She had elegant curves that were always hiding behind the flowy layers. She didn't care what size she was so long as she felt beautiful, and she didn't plan on letting anyone make her feel bad for it.

Turning back to make a quip, she was startled to find Xander Quinn, the swim team's co-captain, smack him upside the head. "Apologize."

"But-"

"Apologize, or else," he demanded.

The prep sulked as he faced Carter and grumbled, "Sorry," before walking away.

Pulling an earbud out, she stepped up to Xander and smiled. "Thank you. I always enjoy watching your team suffer when they apologize to me."

"I feel like by now they should know to leave you alone."

"They're never going to leave me alone. I've accepted it, so they can kiss my ass."

"Let me know if they mess with you."

"Oh, you'll know." She waggled her fingers at him. "I'll put a spell on them."

"Please don't. Swim team actually has a shot this year."

She rolled her eyes. "You know I'm not actually a witch, right?"

He smirked. "I know. I was just playing along."

Xander winked at her before turning around, and Carter covered her mouth to hide her snicker. Everyone knew that Xander Quinn was a flirt. He never dated anyone longer than two weeks, and there was a rumor that he had a secret ring of girls that he kept close to have sex with whenever he needed to let off steam. The fact he seemed to be, what Carter assumed was, flirting with her was hysterical. He seemed to have low standards if that were the case.

Walking towards the gym's entrance, Carter walked up to her best friend. Dante leaned against the wall adjacent to the boy's locker room. He stared at Trevor Schwartz, co-captain of the swim team. She'd known all about Dante's crush on Trevor ever since he came out to her. Every day, she worried about him falling more and more in love with Trevor. He was straight, and he did have a girlfriend. Yet it seemed each day he was beginning to fall for him deeper and deeper.

"You know there are other guys in the school, right?" she asked as she leaned against the wall with him. "Ones that actually want to date you."

"You don't understand," he sighed.

"What? That you're crushing on a straight guy because you know the outcome no matter what, and that certainty helps make you feel a little more secure?"

He smirked as he nudged her shoulder. "Don't act like you know me."

"I just don't like seeing you hurt like this."

"It's not what you think. I'm okay. Not being with him isn't the reason why it hurts."

She quirked an eyebrow. "Then what is the reason?"

Wrapping his arm around her shoulder, the two began to walk towards the exit by the gym. "I can't explain it now, but you'll understand once you're in love."

She let out a single cackle. "As if."

Xander brushed past the two and walked up to his friends. As he passed them, he winked at Carter again and smirked. Dante turned back to stare at him with wide eyes. "What the fuck just happened there?"

"I think I'm his next conquest," she snorted. "What an idiot."

"Would you date him?"

"Why would I date someone who would only want to be with me for two weeks?"

"Experience?"

"No," she dragged out. "I'm perfectly content with everyone in school being afraid of me." She tapped her fingers together in an evil gesture. "It's best when they are afraid of me."

"Bitch, your soul is as dark and bitter as milk. Shut the fuck up."

Carter laughed as they walked out to the parking lot. Bringing her finger up to her lips, she shushed him and said, "You know that's a secret."

I hope y'all enjoyed the first chapter of "Knowing Me, Knowing You." I'm super excited about this book, and it will be my longest to date. I hope you all are in for the ride, because this book will take you all over the place. Enjoy!