Head Over Heels

"Great job, everyone," Ryan cheered as he faced his squad. "I think we have a real shot for nationals this year. Be sure to get some sleep and eat good, because regionals are coming up soon. We need to be in tip-top shape, and everyone needs to be sure to keep their grades up so we can all go this year," he said as he looked at Melanie.

"I had doctor's appointment, and missed a test," she stated. "It wasn't on purpose."

"I know," he winked. "Have a good night."

While everyone on the squad walked back towards the school building, Jessica ran past Ryan and over to the football field. Regina was practicing her kicks, and each time she scored, Jessica cheered really loudly. When Regina looked back at the two, she smiled and waved at them, but her eyes remained solely on Ryan.

"Look at her. She's so cute the way she only ever looks at you," Jessica teased as she bumped her hip into Ryan's.

"So?"

"So?" she mocked. "So, I know for a fact that she'd be okay with you. She's super accepting of everyone, and she has been in love with you since sixth grade. I doubt she'd be turned off by you being you."

"I have nothing against Regina. She's an amazing person, and I do like her a lot. But that's where the liking ends. I won't ever feel anything more for her, because she's just a friend. And not even a close friend, more like a casual one."

"You can't keep chasing after Xander forever," Jessica pouted. "If he liked you by now, he would have made it well known. He would have stopped dating other girls between your grace periods, or whatever they are, and would have told you he liked you and that he wanted to be more than fuck buddies."

"We are not fuck buddies."

"Face it, babe, you are. I only tell you the truth."

"The truth sucks," he pouted. :Call us friends with benefits."

"But that sounds so trashy."

"Trashier than fuck buddies?" He scoffed. "At least friends with benefits has the word 'friends' in it. And no matter what, Xander and I are friends. We hang out. We talk."

"You fuck."

"Sometimes. Not all the time."

"Still, you- Oh, she's back."

Looking over by the bleachers, Ryan spotted Carter take a seat and watch practice. Ryan and Jessica weren't close to Carter, but with her being one of Regina's closest friends, the two saw her frequently during practices.

"You say it like you hate her," Ryan said.

Jessica snickered and rolled her eyes. "I don't. If anything, I feel bad for her. Feeling the need to hide behind her witchy persona to make people scared of her."

"She could just hate people."

"Nah, I've heard too many rumors about her actually being soft. She must be scared of people, and that makes me sad," she sighed. "On the plus side, she at least acts as a good luck charm since she's friends with Regina, and she's the reason we even qualify for state."

"Carter!" Regina called out, waving as she ran over.

"Looking good out there, doll," Carter smirked.

Before running up to the bleachers, Regina stopped to grab her bag next to Ryan and Jessica. She folded her hands behind her back and approached Ryan with a smile. "Hi, Missy."

Ryan gave her a small wave. "Regina." He glanced at the field. "You're doing a great job."

"Yeah, ever since you've joined, we're actually winning," Jessica giggled.

"I'm just really awesome at what I do," Regina smirked. She giggled as she took a step closer to Ryan. "We have a game this Thursday. I hope you'll be cheering me on."

"Kind of have to since I'm on the team," Ryan teased.

"Yeah, but...I hope you'll still cheer me on."

Smiling softly at her, Ryan nodded. "Since you're the only person I actually like on the team, I will."

Regina's smile expanded as she nodded and walked up to the bleachers. Ryan and Jessica giggled to each other before leaving the field and heading to the locker rooms.

Carter quirked an eyebrow at Regina as she sat next to her. "I can't tell if that was more cute or cringey."

Regina groaned as she buried her face in her hands. "I never know how to talk to her. She's an absolute angel, and I always get tongue tied."

"Well, you didn't that time."

"No, but I still said something stupid. I mean, she's right. She's on the cheer squad, and she's supposed to cheer me on."

"But she still said you were the only person on the team that she liked."

"So?"

"Maybe Missy was just trying to play it cool," Carter teased, bumping her elbow into Regina's arm. "Maybe she got a little flustered and was trying to play it off."

"You're only being nice to me right now because what you saw was cringy."

"It was, but that doesn't mean you don't have a chance."

"Yes, it does. She's straight."

"Is she?"

"Whatever." Regina faced Carter and sat up straight. Carter mocked her serious pose with a smirk. "How did this past weekend go?"

Carter's shoulders slumped, and she groaned. "I never got the chance. Dad was stressed all weekend with work, and I just want to tell them both at the same time when there is nothing to stress them out about."

Regina grabbed Carter's hand, and Carter interlocked their fingers. "No matter what, your dads will still love you. You even said it yourself, they're very accepting of the entire LGBTQ community."

"They are, it's just...sometimes it's different when it's your kid that's trans. They may be accepting of the trans community, but they don't exactly understand what it means to be nonbinary. And you have to remember, I dress like a girl. I like to dress femininely, and I still use she/her as my pronouns. At the end of the day, it's just easier if I keep saying I'm a girl."

"Carter, listen to me," Regina demanded, squeezing Carter's hand. "I get what you're saying, but gender is not about what's on the outside. It's about how you feel on the inside. It doesn't matter how you dress or what pronouns you use. All that matters is what you feel on the inside." She placed her free hand over their entwined hands. "You are not a girl. You are just a normal person. You're agender, and that's okay. There's nothing wrong with that. You just keep being you the way you want to be you. Your looks have nothing to do with your gender. Never forget that."

Carter leaned in and hugged Regina, who instantly hugged her back. "Thank you."

"I'm always here if you need me. Just like I know you're here for me."

Carter wiped her eyes and stood up. "Now I actually do have to get to work. Feel free to stop by. We have a new shipment of socks with cats on them. I know you love your cat socks."

"You're damn right, I do," she stated as she stood up. "I'll stop by sometime later this week."

"I'm looking forward to it."

Vote, comment, share!