Super Trouper

Despite loving to listen to ABBA, Carter also listened to music that fit her aesthetic. Her favorite was a new band called Palaye Royale. She also loved Rival Sons and Royal Blood. Since they were all new bands, it was near impossible to find their albums at the record store, but they weren't the main bands she looked for. Her family record player was only meant for bands that came out in the nineties or earlier, so she only came looking for records to add to her family's ever-growing collection.

Besides the internet, the only places in town to find any records were the hipster stores at the mall or Half Price Books. With an entire section dedicated to vinyl, she was able to collect more records for a cheaper price. Plus, with her employee discount, she was able to buy a ton.

Most of the people she worked with dressed the same way she did: all black clothes, emo-ish makeup, piercings, and dyed hair. Everyone was encouraged to be themselves at work, because when people dressed like they did any other time, they felt more relaxed at work. And the more relaxed they were, the more work they'd complete. With the only other places in town to work dressed like herself every day being the thrift store or Hot Topic, Carter preferred to work where she could find her favorite music far easier.

Carter's job was to check the books people were looking to sell, search up the quality of the items and how well they paid for, and come up with a price for everything. Most people were annoyed by their selling prices, but since the store was a used bookstore, the customers would mostly either snicker under their breaths or walk away dejectedly. Only the brave souls without filter would criticize the pricings.

It was slow day, and Carter stood behind the counter with her work friend Janae. Out of the thirty people who worked in the store, Janae was one of only five people who didn't dress like Carter. She wore a skirt every day or shorts, never jeans. Her afro was always perfectly styled with either a headband or bow, and every weekday, she wore suspenders with either an old eighties styled sweater or a cute, buttoned, patterned blouse.

She was three years older than Carter and went to school at the local community college, studying acting. She was a comedian working on Improv. Out of the few shows Carter went to to support Janae, she found most of them to be entertaining.

"You said you were looking for a new Alice Cooper record, right?" Janae questioned as she sorted through a box. "I'm pretty sure someone brought in the one you're looking for."

"Welcome to my Nightmares?" I questioned.

"I think so. I never understood the appeal of Alice Cooper."

"That's because you only listen to Motown and pop rock."

"I guess I just don't have as incredible of an ear for music as you do."

"It takes time to become as musically experienced as I am."

Janae snorted. "It sounds like you're into musical porn."

"I've seen one. Wasn't a fan."

"Seriously?" she gasped. "Which one?"

"Hamilton."

"Well that explains it. You hate Hamilton."

"It's so overrated. We get it. There's rap and it made musicals popular. There was only one good song that came from Broadway that year, and it was She Used to be Mine."

"Have to say, I agree with that one." Janae gushed. "I'm surprised you even know musicals at this point."

"You love them, you're getting your acting degree, I looked into them. Not a big deal. Anyone would do the same."

"No one else has done that for me," she blushed.

"It's just because I'm a great person," Carter teased.