02.

The two bedroom apartment that Sanchez lived in was next to dead silent but he and his roommate were up at five thirty to get their day started

        The two bedroom apartment that Sanchez lived in was next to dead silent but he and his roommate were up at five thirty to get their day started. It was an everyday routine and though Sanchez had been doing it for three years now, he still moved around like a zombie. It was freezing cold and all he wanted to do was go back in his room and plant his face in his pillow. But he knew if he did he'd miss his 6am practice which couldn't happen so he settled for leaning against the wall as he brushed his teeth.

If he didn't love football he wouldn't be forcing himself to get up at sunrise and ending his day on campus at sunset. Football had been the sport to save him from self destruction. He'd been an angry little boy and found himself suspended from school at least once a month. It was from either fighting or refusal to participate in class. It wasn't until 8th grade, the new football coach who was also the PE coach made it his mission to tighten Sanchez up. He sat down with Sanchez a few times and knew he was a good kid. He was just one of the kids who needed somewhere to channel his anger that wasn't his peers.

Sanchez could admit football taught him to think before he acted and how to quickly analyze a situation. After his first game, his coach made him promise to use football to learn. He didn't have to take it to college or the NFL but he wanted Sanchez to focus on not being angry at everyone. Thanks to his coaches and his father sending him to anger management, he could say that he wasn't that same hotheaded little boy. He was now laid back, calm and collected. Not much could get a rise out of him anymore.

"Wake that ass up." Dorian, his bestfriend and star quarterback hit the wall near his head. "We got like ten minutes to be out of here and at the facility."

He and Dorian met their senior year of high school. They played on rivalry teams but they always had good vibes when they crossed paths off the field. It wasn't until they went to a party on a side of town neither were familiar with and wound up stranded together after a shooting broke out. From then on, they kept in contact and started to hang out every weekend whether it was at Sanchez's house or Dorian's house. And Sanchez never really clicked with anyone enough to hang outside of school. He kept everyone at a fair distance. He didn't want anyone knowing his personal life and he didn't want anyone attempting to get close to him. It was a result of his childhood.

But something about Dorian was different from everyone else. He had an energy about him that let Sanchez know that he meant no harm by anyone. He was a good person. He also made Sanchez feel included in everything he did, and because Sanchez grew to be a heavy set boy once he hit high school, he always felt left out. The other players seemed to make it their mission to keep him away from anything non-football related. And his intuition about Dorin reigned true when he accepted a full-ride to USF to stay with his bestfriend.

Sanchez spit the toothpaste out then rinsed with mouthwash. He returned to his bedroom and cursed at the cold temperature. It was colder than the rest of the place and it had everything to do with the two fans he had blowing. He cut them both off before he grabbed his workout sneakers, put them on and laced them up. He heard Dorian calling for him to come on, making him snatch his backpack from his desk chair and his phone from the charger.