11

Asha sat with Sanchez and his father for like thirty minutes going through pictures until she was called to help fix plates

       Asha sat with Sanchez and his father for like thirty minutes going through pictures until she was called to help fix plates. She knew how her mom was about her photo collection so she let them take pictures of ones they wanted for themselves then locked the box back in the china stand. Her duty as a helper in the kitchen lasted for about twenty minutes before she was slightly irritated. All of the children were first in line and they took a million years to tell her what they wanted on their plate. Some would even change their mind after she finished giving them what they asked for and she was ready to tell their parents to do it themselves.

She was more than happy when Blanca came to help her out so the line could move faster. The process became a breeze when the adults started to get their plate fixed because they simply wanted everything or already knew what they didn't want. Blanca would dump three portions on their plate and Asha would put the rest and hand them their plastic utensils.

"Asha I don't want Blanca fixing nothin of mine. Only you." Drew called from his spot in line. "She look dirty."

"I'll spit all in your food."

"Aht aht." all the adults quickly turned to Blanca with frowns on their face. "Blanca don't do that."

"I was just playing dang."

"Aha dirty foot." Drew stuck his tongue out once he reached the front of the line. "Hook me up with everything, Asha. Don't be stingy either. You know how I like it."

"Just for you to be on the toilet in three minutes." Blanca started on Sanchez's plate who was next in line.

"Aye get off my tip and worry about why you can't seem to digest yours, pudgy." Drew shot back.

"Okay, I think that's enough." Asha gave Drew his plate. "Y'all are like two toddlers."

Drew walked away without another word. Asha shook her head and took Sanchez's plate from Blanca waiting on him to tell her what else he wanted. "Um...Um..."

"Don't start playing." she smirked. "I'll start throwing anything on here and call it a day."

He called off what else he wanted and moved out the way to let the line keep moving. Finally, everyone had their plates and Asha was outside at a table with her brothers Jeremiah and Elijah. They weren't doing much talking – more focused on scarfing their food down. Elijah was trying to hurry and finish so he could get back on the four-wheeler with the neighbors. Jeremiah wanted to get back upstairs for a rematch against his cousin in 2K. Asha sat with them to spend a little time with them because she would be gone in the morning, but that wasn't on their mind. They finished what they could then spirited in different directions, leaving their plates behind and all.

"Well okay." she stacked their plates and used a napkin to clean up their spills. She wasn't really hungry so her plate was pretty light as she focused on finishing while watching the toddlers run the yard.