12.

The rain was the only thing that seemed to make it cold in Florida

        The rain was the only thing that seemed to make it cold in Florida. It was mid December and the temperature had yet to drop but thanks to last night's continuous rain, it was a pretty cool morning. Asha sat on the back porch with airpods, working on an assignment for one of the two classes she was taking for winter intermission. She wanted to graduate in August of the upcoming year rather than December. It would also allow her to have a smaller schedule for next semester as she focused on her internship and side jobs.

One of the side jobs being similar to her trip to California to work with Reyna Biddy. Asha expected the collaboration to be the two of them in a recording studio as Reyna recorded her poetry over a beat she made, but it wasn't. Instead Reyna asked her to play her guitar as she performed her work for a BET+ Black Girls Rock segment and she was stoked about it. It was an experience that left her on a high because of the energy in the room even though things were kind of fast paced. She did meet a few people that she hoped to later work with as she grew into what she wanted to do for a career. She definitely did herself a solid by going on that trip.

The trip also helped her decide on what she wanted to do with her feelings for Sanchez. She'd sent him a few text messages and even talked to him over the phone for her first night there, but it solidified everything for her. He was a bit clingy, he spoke highly of her to her face, and gave her compliments like he liked her but was pretty firm in their dynamic being a friendship. She wasn't the type to be looked at as some fan or groupie, therefore, she let herself breathe for a couple days. What  harm would being radio silent do when they were just friends? Obviously, a lot because he was upset about it which confused Asha. She hated to be confused and she definitely didn't want to tell him they'd have to cut ties. Let alone on his birthday. But he forced her hand and now life was back to the way it was before him.

The backdoor slid open causing her to crane her neck around and see who it was. Jema walked out, giving her a short smile. It was the first time she was seeing Jema in person since everything happened with Brad. Once they began to harass her she went back to Jupiter with her siblings to take a moment for herself. Asha didn't blame her at all. She couldn't imagine having to deal with being called outta her name by people she had grown close to. Jema had grown to be apart of that family for the past two years and they turned around and treated her like shit.

"Hey, how are you?" Asha stretched her neck with puckered lips to let Jema know she was offering up a kiss.

Jema leaned down and let Asha kiss her cheek. "I'm better. Thank you for calling me everyday. It was nice to still be in the loop and not think about what I had going on."

"Of course. I know Toria was tired of hearing me complain about the same thing over and over. Has there been any progress with with the school?"

"They finally decided to take him off the football team but not expel him. My parents are pushing for expulsion so it's being dragged out a little longer."