40.

The constant tapping of Sanchez's cellphone against the glass table echoed throughout the conference room

        The constant tapping of Sanchez's cellphone against the glass table echoed throughout the conference room. He sat in the chair with a subtle rock, awaiting his head coach Mike to enter for their scheduled meeting. Practice reached a close a hour ago and his last task was attempting to settle the weird tension between he and his coach. It was beginning to irk him more than it needed to and after speaking with his agent he found out it may have everything to do with contract negotiations.

Finally, Mike appeared causing Sanchez to lean up in his seat and set his phone down, face down. Coach Mike entered the room and claimed the chair across from Sanchez, pushing the cap on his head up for eye contact.

"What happened to you the other day? I expected you to show up. Especially after seeing what your boys put us through Sunday."

"I had a family emergency I couldn't miss out on. Coach Patrick knew." he mentioned the offensive lineman coach. "I made sure to be back for yesterday's practice."

Mike nodded, not too bothered with that conversation because he had been informed by Coach Patrick. Sanchez had also done well in practice both yesterday and today, and his fine was already sent out. Further consequences were unnecessary.

"What's the meeting about? I thought you wanted to appeal the fine." Mike rocked in his chair with his arms folded on his chest.

"If my excuse wasn't enough for y'all to do it on your own then I see no reason to. I'm here because we seem to have tension that's starting to affect my relationships with the staff."

"And how is that?"

"If you're upset about contract numbers then you have that right but that's business between you and my agent. I'm not in that."

"You are." he nodded. "He speaks for you. He represents you."

"Coach I don't want no issues with you if they're not called for. You don't want to pay the money then respectfully say that. I love this team. I love the staff but if you don't feel I'm up to the dollar being asked decline. There's no need for the long game and for the trainers and others to be moving weird when we're all professionals. We're all at work here. We should act like it."

"An $8 million dollar increase?" he leaned forward, his watch hitting the table in the process.

"Either decline or accept. You've seen what I've contributed to this team on a daily basis. What I've done so far since the season started. All you have to do is accept or decline. Nothing more."

"Do you not see where this team is currently ranked? We haven't had an outstanding season in years—"

Sanchez nodded, "I get your aspect of things and what all you have to consider when making these negotiations, but it has nothing to do with my contribution. If you need until week 10 I'm okay with that. But I've never not played my part and that's the basis of what you pay me for, right?"