29.

Airports were always the worst

         Airports were always the worst. The ongoing traffic was unnecessarily complicated to get through, and people drove as if their license was merely handed to them. It was ridiculous but she was in the process of picking Jema up after nearly a month in California. Asha hadn't expected her to stay as long as she had, however, that meant all was well between her and Drew which she was happy for. He'd been hell bent on Jema for years and Asha didn't expect them to be hitting it off so well. Obviously, he was leaving a lasting impression and they were enjoying each other,

Another tap on Asha's window made her huff and crack her window for the man in a neon vest. He'd been trying to get her to move forward with the traffic out of  the pickup/drop off lane, but she refused. The lane was for pickup just as much as drop off, therefore, she was staying put. There were literally four lanes; two specifically for the exiting cars and two for those coming in and out of the airport. At least that's the way she saw it.

"I'm waiting on someone. I'm not moving," she voiced then rolled her window back up before he could reply.

From her peripheral she could see him stare at her then back away which made her grumble a thank you. She wasn't in the best mood due to an aching stomach so, he was only asking for her to be an asshole in response to his refusal to leave her alone.

Her phone rung with Jema's contact and she quickly answered, "I need you to hurry up before I snap on this man. You have your luggage yet?"

"Yeah, I'm heading for the doors now. Are you at my terminal or did you have to pull in somewhere else?"

"No, I'm right in front of your terminal. The second door."

"Okay. I'm coming right now," Jema ended the call.

Asha's fingers tapped against the wheel as she swiped through her notifications for a text back from Sanchez. It'd been almost two hours since she texted him and he had yet to respond which had become a norm over the weeks. While she handled her work load with ease— only having one real class— he was having a difficult time. If he wasn't at practice and workouts he was either asleep or in the tutor center for help.

She hadn't expected their time to be so limited. It was like she hardly ever saw him and when she did he slept the entire time. He never really had the energy for much which she could understand but it caused her to be on her own a lot. Especially because Toria jumped at every opportunity she got to be with Zeek, and he was more available than his friend. 

"Hey, you look cute!" Jema opened the back door to put her suitcase in the backseat.

"Thank you," Asha watched her carefully get the large suitcase in without scratching anything, "Did you have fun?"

Jema closed the door then slipped in the front, "Yes I did. I mean I stayed an extra week. But—"

"Uh oh," Asha eased away from the curb to the other lanes for the exit. She wasn't expecting anything negative to come from the long trip but you never knew.