35.

After changing into a sundress and throwing all her wet hair into the claw clip, Asha took her plate out to the back porch to sit at one of the tables

         After changing into a sundress and throwing all her wet hair into the claw clip, Asha took her plate out to the back porch to sit at one of the tables. The whole time she ate she watched her best friend and uncle whisper, giggle, and be all over one another like no one else was at the table with them. She thought it was cute, especially when Drew turned his affections to Jema's stomach. It was a little wild to actually see them together after so many years but obviously Drew always knew what he wanted.

"Hey," a chair was pulled out on the side of Asha. She turned to see Duke's girlfriend Nautica who whispered, "You did not tell me your ex was big and fine."

Asha laughed in confusion, "Girl who? And where are you coming from? I thought y'all left."

"No, your mom sent us to get more drinks and stuff. But him right there." she glanced over her shoulder which made Asha do the same. Sanchez stood at the DJ booth with her cousin holding a plate in his hand. "I knew he and Jeremiah were friends but...y'all must've been together for a long time?"

"Girl that man is not fine. The beard is fooling you." she avoided Nautica's last question to acknowledge her first sentiment. It was definitely a lie to mess with her because Nautica was always eager to learn more and more about Asha.

Every time Asha happened to see Sanchez at one of the family events something about him had changed. He was still a husky man but his body composition altered after entering the league; much leaner in the waist but those thunder thighs weren't going anywhere. He also grew a beard which hid his boyish features, unless he smiled, making him appear older. Nonetheless, he was aging absolutely well in her eyes.

Nautica pursed her lips, "Yeah okay. He favors what's his name. The one that we ran into at Topgolf."

"Please don't say that." Asha slightly rolled her eyes. Jema who'd heard the conversation cackled. "Shut up."

"Me and our friend Victoria told her the same thing but she acted like she couldn't see it. Put them in a line up and somebody will think they're related."

Asha would disagree until she was blue in the face because she did not think her ex and Sanchez shared similar features enough to be considered look a likes. The only similarities she could point out were their skin tones and they both were dread heads, at the time. Even when they were in the same room she couldn't see what her friends saw. Sanchez had distinctive features to her.

"Not at all." she shook her head.

"I didn't see it either, Bug." Drew chimed in. "What did happen with him? Y'all ended on bad terms?"

Bad terms was probably not the proper label but it wasn't all peachy keen either. After a year and a half of jumping plane to plane and exploring more of herself, Asha felt like she'd finally accepted all of her past. She hadn't regretted the abortion but she was struggling to forgive herself for such a decision. It took her being alone in different cities and small countries to be aligned with herself in which made her happy and comfortable with who she was.