Chapter 40: And So It Begins

Dedicated Chapter Song: Crown of Thorns - Black Veil Brides

Am I what you want or who I had to be?
And I'm not the messiah
And I can't heal a broken home
But I'll give you my life
And my pride to live through tonight
(Hiromi)

Am I what you want or who I had to be?And I'm not the messiahAnd I can't heal a broken homeBut I'll give you my lifeAnd my pride to live through tonight(Hiromi)

"Sit down," Mother waves to a barstool. How many days had I been trapped in a run-down bar with a bunch of villains including my mother, and Katsuki Bakugo?

"No." I smile, tilting my head. "I don't think I want to."

"Sit!" Kaito teleports behind me, grabbing my shoulder and forcibly shoving me down onto the seat.

"Agh!" I groan, feeling my tailbone crack from the force. I glare at him, making sure I hear that nice little wince sound and watch him rub at where he'd hurt me.

"Ooh, feisty." His eyes glance at Dark Angel. "Just like mum."

"Quiet, Kayn." Dark Angel waves a finger at him.

"So you're him," I huff, straightening myself in the seat. "You're my brother."

"What made you reach that conclusion?" He smiled.

"The music box in mother's room. Kayn: filium enim condemnabitur. You're Kayn. You're my brother." I don't know why I didn't sound shocked. I was told I was the first and only child, but I knew from my father that my mother had a supposed miscarriage before me. Guess that was a lie. "You told me he was dead."

"He was." Mother stirred her finger around in her cocktail. "Until you resurrected him. Just like you resurrected your little toy back there in the forest."

"Shoto isn't my toy! He's my—" I stop, remembering that Bakugo was still in the room, unable to speak thanks to the duct tape over his mouth. "—friend—"

"Boooo!" says Kayn, cupping his hands around his mouth. "I caught you two practically getting it on in the forest. If I didn't make it rain I don't want to know what the two of you would've done."

"That was you?" I said, then remembered I shouldn't be surprised. "So, what? You kidnap me now so we can be "one big happy family"?"

"Something like that." Mother smiles.

"I don't like her," speaks up Handyman, who had been scratching at his neck the whole time. "She's just a casualty. We need to get rid her before the heroes come—"

"How did I resurrect you?" I cut off the handyman, demanding more answers. Kaito— or rather Kayn, takes a sip from a bottle sitting on the counter.

"You tell me, sis." He throws his head back with the next sip.

Jinxx clears her throat, making everyone turn to her as she leaned against a wall adjacent to me, flipping a pair of butterfly knives. "Well? It's been two days. I'm not wearing this dumb mask any longer." And as she ripped it off I let out a gasp.