Chapter 14: Trauma of The Mind

Dedicated Chapter Song: Blood//Water - grandson

We'll never get free. Lamb to the slaughter. Whatchu gonna do when there's blood in the water? The price of your greed is your son and your daughter.
(Todoroki and Hiromi)

I don't really know how it happened

I don't really know how it happened. I wasn't fast enough, I suppose. I thought I'd get to Emiko before she could use her quirk, but I was wrong. Very wrong.

All it took for her to get me was just the slightest mention of my parents and the worst memory I could've thought of came to mind. I hated myself more than I ever had in my life for thinking of that day again. Because it came back to me and it was shown to everyone.

"Oh?" Dark Angel crooned, twisting in her seat to face the small TV screen up on the wall. "Aaaah, so she does remember her purpose."

Projected in the air, in what mocked a large hologram, was me as a child, no more than about six or seven, bloody, bruised, and vomiting while my mother stood above me, angry that I'd let her down. An audible gasp came from the entire audience as they watched her kick me.

"How pathetic," my mother crooned, shaking her raven-haired head. "Please..." I sobbed, clinging to my stomach. My face was covered in bruises and cuts, and my hair was matted with blood. "I can't...keep healing him...my quirk... doesn't work anymore."

"You're not trying hard enough!" she screamed, grabbing me by my hair to lift me to my feet. I was so numb to the pain that I just hung limply, my wings drooping from my shoulders, too tiny to do much. "You did that to him, you know," she points to a child much older than me in the corner who was asleep, passed out from overusing his quirk. No one got to see who he was because in my memory I never dared to look him in the eye. Not after I was unable to save him from...those burns. With a very reluctant sigh my mother dropped me back on the floor.

"It's your fault he looks like that. If you only healed—"

"I can't..." I coughed and wiped my mouth with my wrist. My black hair still covered my right eye, keeping my secret, only thanks to the fact that it was matted and couldn't be moved easily. "I can't use it anymore...I reached...my limit."

"Damn you," My mother scoffs. "I fucked your pathetic excuse of a father simply because I needed a child with multiple quirks— and you only have this one pathetic one?!" she throws her head back and laughs, gripping at her scalp. Her black fingernails dug into her head, and I wondered to myself how it was that she hadn't gone bald yet. "Oh, my dear,"

As I watched the scene play out, I begged my own mind to stop before it was too late. But my mind betrayed me, and just one of my secrets was revealed. One of the ones I wanted to never let anyone know.