Chapter 35: The Forest Of Truth

Dedicated Chapter Song: Adore You - Harry Styles

Honey
I'd walk through fire for you
Just let me adore you
Oh, honey

It didn't even take a full second before I had spun my body a full 180 degrees

It didn't even take a full second before I had spun my body a full 180 degrees. In my right hand was a blade that I didn't recall having before. My eyes were glowing as I stared at the stranger before me— who wasn't really a stranger.

"Woah," a soft male voice laughs. "Where did that come from?"

"...Kai...to...?" I blink in shock, slowly lowering my arm. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he chuckles, biting on his lip ring. "I saw all the other girls are sleeping in the same room. Yet, here you are all alone. That's curious."

"You didn't answer my question."

"...I followed you."

"What?!" I gasp in shock, holding the dagger closer to me. "You need to leave before I call someone—"

"Wait, before you do— let me explain myself first!" Kaito defensively raises his arms in front of his face. I almost feel bad for the poor fellow.

"Are you...here to kill me?" I question, cocking my head ever so slightly to the left. Kaito lowers his arms mechanically and stares at me as though I'd offended him; wait, I probably did.

"Hey, that's rude," he chides, a hint of laughter in the back of his throat. "Just because I'm a wanted criminal who broke into your room in the middle of the night and has been watching you for a few days now doesn't mean I'm the bad guy!"

I suck in a sharp breath and hold the dagger up against my breasts. "You've been watching me? Why?"

"...is...that the only part you heard?"

"Only part I care about," I reply stoically.

"Don't you even want to know what I'm wanted for?" he spreads his arms out dramatically.

"Manslaughter?" I raise an eyebrow in a bored and unimpressed tone.

"No."

"Battery?"

"Close but no."

"Robbery?" I dug my elbow into his rib. "Did you rob a child of their lollipop?"

Kaito snickers and pushes me away as though we were already good friends. "Yes, but no. Keep guessing."

I lean in close with a grin. "Arson."

Kaito grins even wider. "Bingo." and just like that, my smiles fades. "Wait...did you...commit arson?"

"I didn't do it," he sneered, almost as if I had offended him. "Some woman did and she's been framing me for years. I don't know what I ever did to her."