13. Alleyway Fights

• 第十三章 •

• 第十三章 •

-

Joseon Dynasty.

Ever since Hoseok was gone, Hana felt as if her heart had been torn into two and the other half of it was slowly, but surely, decaying away like the way the three stalks of flowers he had given her before his departure one and a half month ago. With her eyes staring blankly at the now wilted flowers before her, she wrapped her delicate fingers around the stems and took them out of the makeshift vase; and before she could even realize what she was doing again for the umpteenth time, she was back at the same spot where the moonlight shined the brightest in the darkest of nights.

The luminous yet comforting warmth of the moonlight reflected on the surface of the lake, rendering the nature-blessed night light to glimmer like tiny dancing stars on the water ripples crafted meticulously by the gentle hush of breeze. Hana glanced down at her hazy reflection from the bridge she was on, and with her lips pursed thinly and eyebrows furrowed in pain, she released the dead flowers into the body of water before crouching down to break into another round of tears.

"It hurts. It hurts so much." Hana cried out hysterically, her words directed to no one in particular.

Her legs gave out eventually, so she sat down on the wooden bridge as she hid her face which was dampened with tears using both of her hands. She wiped the tears away furiously, but no matter how hard she did so, new waves of tears would escape her eyes, sparing no mercy to break her already broken heart into debris.

"Please don't cry. It hurts my heart to see you cry." A deep voice spoke as his kneeling form shadowed over hers, his arms raising up wanting to comfort her but didn't exactly know how to do so.

"Y-your Highness." Hana stifled a hiccup threatening to escape from her throat. "What brings you here?"

"I can't possibly leave my protector's lover all alone when everything is my fault." Hyeon dropped his head in shame, his lower lip trembling as tears of his own fell out. "I'm so sorry for everything, Hana. It's all my fault."

Hana quickly shook her head. "It's not your fault, Your Highness. Stop blaming yourself."

"But it is! Can't you see? If it weren't for me, they wouldn't be k-killed and you wouldn't be suffering here, all alone." Hyeon sniffled, his turn to start bawling before the girl who was at slight shock at how vulnerable the Crown Prince was.

"Yah, I don't think you should be crying out in the open here you know." Hana choked another sob, and she started crying when Hyeon whimpered while wiping his own tears. "S-stop crying!"