Four | Making Friends With The Floor.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Meanwhile, on the other side of these large mahogany double doors—Higuchi's ear was currently glued to the dark wood as she was attempting to try and hear exactly what was going on inside that office. News seemed to spread like wildfire around here, so when the rumour mill had broken out that there was going to be a potential new member of the Port Mafia who was also supposedly a woman; everyone was suddenly interested.

They were all currently crowding right outside the double doors; whispering quietly amongst themselves as not to alert anyone inside. All they knew was that Chuuya was presently in there with the majority of the Port Mafia's honorary guards and a mystery woman. Truthfully, when Higuchi heard that the potential new member was a female, it seemed to set off some major red flags in her brain. She was absolutely terrified of someone taking away her precious Akutagawa! She was hoping and praying to God that the mystery woman was at least not going to be even remotely attractive, because she didn't want to risk her boss falling for someone other than her.

Higuchi was currently not the only other person who was standing outside the office as if waiting for the postman to arrive at her doorstep, patiently anticipating a mystery package, because everyone else had also seemed to be just as intrigued and nervous as she was. Lingering conversations and hushed whispers had echoed throughout the once seemingly peaceful yet ominous hallway; the voices babbled quizzically like a mountain river—with many attempting to keep their voices low and secretive. But that didn't mean it was going to stop the racing curiosity; the faint edge that had left practically every main member of the Port Mafia balancing on top of their toes outside Mori's office.

"What can you hear, Higuchi?" Tachihara asked; his voice barely above a hushed whisper. "Is it a woman after all?"

"Definitely." Higuchi responded with her ear pressed to the door; nodding her head. "I can hear her laughing with the boss!"

"Yes!" Tachihara pumped his fist in the air excitedly, earning a sharp glare from his co-worker, Gin, who had also worked in the same unit as him under the Port Mafia. Both of them were members of the infamous Black Lizard—they were an assault group, notorious for handling the organisation's most unsavoury jobs. They were exceptionally skilled in combat, especially with a trained assassin like Gin, who, unlike Tachihara and the leader of the Black Lizard Hirotsu, had no such special ability. But it didn't matter, because she was just as, if not more talented than the two men she was burdened to work with.

"Do you think she'll become a new member of the Black Lizard?" The old man who was leaning against the wall with a cigarette dangling between his parted, withered lips spoke with his head tilted upwards. Hirotsu's monocle over his right eye glinted under the harsh light cutting across the gloomy hallway, as a puff of smoke trailed from his cigarette and into the atmosphere. "Because I'm not interested in training anyone new. You two were bad enough as it was."