Forty-Two | An Accidental Revelation.

A/N - I highly recommend that you press play on the song above and let it run throughout this chapter! ;)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Upon hearing these words leave Chuuya's tightly pursed lips—a sudden gush of fear had shocked you like an electric eel. It began with a moment of intense concentration, which had disappeared too fast to remember, leaving a residue of unspecified fright. Danger, threat, disaster, you didn't know what.

Sucking in a sharp breath, you sagged against the leather seat. If you groaned, you did so quietly. You weren't exactly in the mood for this—nor were you dressed for the occasion. "Please tell me you're joking. How can you be so sure that they're even after us?"

He swung his head around to face you faster than the speed of light, with his hands still gripping the steering wheel like it had now become his lifeline—and letting go would mean his ultimate demise. The sunlight highlighted the planes of his face and the sharpness of his cheekbones. He fixed you with a look that made it seem like you had just asked him the most ridiculous question in the whole entire world; a question that had made him lose a good quarter of his brain cells. "I highly doubt that three black cars with tinted windows would be tailing us because they want to personally invite us to their tea party."

He was immediately met with a frown—an adorable frown at that—but a frown nonetheless. You crossed your arms over your chest, sulking like a child in the backseat. You pulled your eyes to the window and mumbled under your breath, yet still loud enough for Chuuya to be able to catch your words, "this is annoying."

You weren't paying attention to anything other than the oncoming traffic that was currently heading your way. From windows of the tall houses that had passed by in an inartistic blur, the traffic was as Hot Wheels upon the blacktop road, lights on, engines purring, green lights that would soon bounce from green to red up ahead. You weren't too sure why it was so busy today of all days, but judging by the timing, it sort of made sense.

Rush hour.

"This is what happens when I willingly decide to dilly-dally around with a wanted ability-wielder who's worth millions on the black market and is number one on the Guild's hit list." He sighed rather theatrically. He didn't realise how crazy this entire situation had sounded until he had reiterated the severity of it out loud. He quickly realised that the three cars currently following him were, without a shadow of a doubt, affiliated with the Guild. They just had to be—because they were the only ones, especially as of this current moment in time, who had been in constant, relentless pursuit of you ever since you had become known as their escapee and in turn, joined the Port Mafia, which must have hurt their reputation tremendously. They were butthurt, clearly, hence why they kept orchestrating all these silly little attacks to try and get you back in their grasp and failing miserably every single time, which couldn't have been too good for their already deflated ego. He also had no idea how on Earth they had managed to track both of you down, either—but that wasn't what was important right now. What was important was trying to get the hell away from them without causing too much of a ruckus on the main road. "I wonder if this is how that suicidal bastard felt when he first met his wife."