Fifty-Three | I'm Only a Fool For You.

A/N - I highly recommend that you press play on the playlist above and let it run throughout this chapter! ;)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

The strike came openhanded, faster than either of you could have expected, the sound of the slap shockingly loud as your palm connected with his skin. It left his cheek urticating, and him absolutely shocked beyond comprehension. His expression was slack, and his pupils narrowed, seeming to flee from the expanding whites of his eyes.

You rarely got angry. You rarely allowed your temper to get the best of you—but knowing that Chuuya had willingly brought Ruby into your shared office tonight had broken the gates that held your frustrations at bay, and suddenly, you could no longer see anything but the vivid colour of red obscuring your vision.

It was a stinging blow. Emphasis on the stinging; it was written all over his face. He cupped his hand to cradle his cheek as he stared at you; unblinking and unable to comprehend what on earth had just happened.

You audibly gasped, your hand instantly flying to cover your mouth, your expression aghast, and you had no idea what the hell just came over you. You hadn't expected that, and you could tell that he didn't, either. You had completely underestimated just how angry you were, but when you saw him, when you locked eyes with him, when he began to speak, a blind rage like a pernicious fire swept over you—and then you no longer had control of your emotions, hence why, against everything that you had promised yourself you wouldn't do no matter how furious you were, you slapped him right across the face.

Hard.

The two of you had stared at each other for a few moments—neither of you saying a word, both of you breathing hard. You had no idea what to say, afraid that whatever was going to come out of your mouth next would have caused irreversible damage. You wanted to tell him how much you hated him, how much he had hurt you, but none of that rose to the surface, because now that he was standing in front of you like this, actually looking at you this time instead of hastily averting his gaze like he'd been doing for the past six days now, your heart was threatening to stutter to a stop.

You were in over your head.

And you felt as if you were drowning in those deeper than blue eyes that were staring at you with an intense, overpowering ferocity that had turned your knees to water. Not the kind of ferocity that would have melted into anger, but it was something softer. Sweeter. And it made your stomach twist with stupid longing. It was confusing, maddening even, because you were furious, yet at the same time, completely and utterly captivated by the ambiguous vigour of his cerulean orbs that made your heart thunder in your head.

For a moment, your mind had gone entirely blank and you couldn't think. Your heart was doing that thing again where it felt like it was riding on ocean waves inside your chest, and you couldn't remember how to function properly.