Calm evenings

The recently lit fire crackled nicely, filling up the silence the two girls had left.

Y/n sat on the couch, her hands fiddling with the end of her sleeves while she waited for whatever wanda was doing. She could hear the sound of her raiding through her own cupboard, but she didn't want to turn her head in case it started a conversation.

It wasn't so much that she didn't like conversations, but she did like silence. Especially with the calming sound of something like the fire crackling. She loved those short calm moments she'd have between everything hectic that happened in her life, and she tried to savour them as much as she could.

The comfort she found in the silence was then taken away when wanda returned from whatever she was doing in the kitchen. She calmly walked round to the couch and held one of her hands out.

Two pills rested nicely in the palm of her hand, while her other hand held a glass of water, "here."

Y/n looked at the pills, then at wanda, "You really think I'm just gonna take those?"

"They're for your pain." She explained, "you can either take them or suffer, your choice."

Her eyes burned into wanda's for a few seconds before she took the pills from her hand, and then the glass from her other. While she swallowed the pills, wanda moved over to sit in one of the chairs by the couch, keeping her eyes on y/n as she waited for her to finish.

When y/n put the glass on the coffee table in front of her, wanda felt it was the right time to stark talking it her, "how did you get here?"

She leant back into the comfort of the couch while allowing her leg to feel as secure as it could, "my plane crashed in the middle of the woods way over there." She pointed into the direction.

She squinted into the area y/n pointed out, "you must've been a terrible pilot."

"I wasn't flying it, okay? It wouldn't have happened if I was, I'm a good pilot." She corrected her.

"I have another question." Wanda told her.

"Is this an interview?" She sarcastically asked back.

Instead of reacting to her sarcastic comment, she asked, "why do you hate me?"

Taken back by the bluntness of the question, she stammered, "I- what?"

"Well, you're clearly not a fan of me." She says more comfortably into the chair, preparing to have a proper conversation.

She took in a breath while thinking of what to say. The biggest struggle was trying to separate how she actually felt towards her from how she was told to feel by sword.

"It's not just you, it's powered people." She began talking, "but I'm not one of those violent anti-superhero people, I do see the benefit of having superheroes. You guys have seriously helped with a lot of things, but I just-..." her voice weakened, "you don't realise the damage you leave behind. I know you can't save everyone, but you don't even acknowledge those who you've lost. People who were supposed to be safe in the hands of superheroes, have died because of them." A slight anger grew as she began ranting, "you've been given the opportunity to save lives, but you don't use it properly. If I had the ability one of the avengers had, I would make it my soul purpose to protect people. I wouldn't call it a day unless I know everyone is okay... or at least avenged."

By the way y/n was talking, it was clear to Wanda what her reasoning was, "you've lost someone before?"

"I've lost everyone." She laughed slightly to hide the fact that she was being reminded of all her pain at once, "and not to something natural, or something human. The only people I've ever loved have been killed by something that wasn't even meant to be on our planet. I think that gives me a bit of reasoning behind my opinion on powered people."

Instead of asking more questions, wanda sat in silence to let y/n finally get out what she'd clearly been holding onto for a while.

"I know you can't stop death, it's going to happen to everyone. If everyone who I loved died in a humanly way, a way that happens to so many people everywhere... then maybe I wouldn't be so angry about it." She shrugged, "but the things that killed them weren't even meant to be anywhere near them- they weren't meant to die. But they did, and I've constantly been left alone."

To y/n, she was just pouring out how she felt. But what she didn't realise, was that she was actually admitting how similar her and Wanda were.

"Every time my life has started to flow smoothly, something unimaginable happens. It feels like-." She adjusted her position to a more comfortable one, and sighed, "every time I feel grounded in where I am, the rug is just pulled from my feet. I'm at the point where I just... don't wanna get back up. I don't want to hope, because I know it'll be taken away." To stop herself from crying, she looked down at her hands and clenched her jaw.

It was very evident that she didn't want to talk about it anymore, so wanda didn't try to push for an answer anymore then she already had.

With a tired sigh, she stood up straight from her chair, "I'll let you rest."

While fiddling with the ends of her sleeves again, y/n looked up at her, waiting for her to say something else.

"I've put some clean clothes you can wear for bed on that chair, and there's food and water in the fridge if you need any during the night." She mentioned.

She looked at the folded up clothes on the chair and then back at wanda, "thanks."

She nodded to her before turning to walk through to her room, "goodnight." She called out as she shut her door.

"Yeah, goodnight." Y/n muttered back, even though she knew she wouldn't hear it.