Comparisons of the night

The two remained apart for the rest of the day. Wanda trailed around the cabin, thinking about the whole situation and processing it fully. Whereas y/n walked to the village until the sun began setting.

With a large sigh, y/n slumped down on the ground, dropping the duffel bag on the space below her. She'd managed to find a small carved into the side of the mountain, so she tucked herself under it for any kind of shelter she could.

After storming out of the cabin, she began her journey. In fact, she didn't stop her journey until the sun set and the darkness poured in, which physically made her have to stop. Even then, she was persistent to keep going, but soon she could barely see the path ahead of her.

The second she leant her back against the rocks, she dropped her head down to finally process what happened back there. Due to the frustration she felt, she didn't think about it on her way there. Instead, she just walked and walked.

She didn't believe wanda meant it, but it still hurt more than anything to hear. Remembering the small note she slid in her pocket, she lifted her head up and took the note out.

She twirled the paper within her fingertips, reading over the words using the slither of moonlight as her source of visibility.

Regret swamped her. It clouded over her from every direction, making it almost impossible for her to get comfortable enough to eventually fall asleep. Not only that, but she was also going to be unable to fall asleep without the wanda's presence.

Her back began to feel an ache in her skin where the rocks she leant against pressed into it, but it didn't bother her, she didn't let it.

The main word the moon highlighted was the word 'princess' which only made her regret not telling wanda earlier.

In truth, she did forget. At first, she just held it in because she didn't expect to get attached, but once she became distracted by wanda's comfort, the thought simply left her mind.

As she didn't want to hurt herself emotionally any longer, she slid the note back into her pocket with a deep sigh. Pressing her hands between her thighs for warmth, she sat in silence, and prepared to do so for a while.

That was until her head turned to the side to see her duffel bag sitting there as an aching reminder. She couldn't let it go, she couldn't ignore it knowing it was there.

So, with a grunt, she pulled it towards her and unzipped it in annoyance. While crossing her legs in front of her, she began raiding through it in case she could find anything useful.

Before she could see anything else, she saw a small note that had been carefully slotted in there by someone that wasn't her.

"Hey, y/n. I want you to read this when you've landed, and I'll be pissed if you read it before. I hope Jack wasn't too unbearable on the flight there, but that doesn't sound very realistic. I packed you those little cookies you told me you loved, just in case you want them. Monica says hi. Well, she didn't at this moment, but she knows you're going so she says hi for when you get there. So does Jimmy, of course. He said he'll miss bringing you coffees every morning, so I told him he can bring me the exact order to feel the same. Although, I absolutely despise the way you have your coffee, so I refuse to drink it. But hes happy doing it, so I won't tell him I hate the coffee. I don't know how long this scouting is going to take, but you better be back soon because I'll really miss you otherwise. I have so many new suit designs that I want you to see- and I know you say you don't want a personalised agent suit, but just hear me out, I think you'll like these. And I swear to god, if you miss out on the movie night with Monica and i then we're kicking you out of the club.
                                                - love, DR (!!) darcy."

Tears pooled in the corners of her eyes as she began reading it, her eyes hastily bouncing from each and every word. Then, when they landed at the last sentence, she let out an unexpected chuckle and wiped the tears away from her eyes.

Then, in the spot where the note was, rested three polaroid pictures. One for each of the members of the trio she left back at home: Monica, Darcy, and Jimmy.

She smiled, her heart aching in her chest, wishing that she never left them. She wished she refused the mission, but she also wished she told wanda sooner. Part of her wanted to be with wanda, yet another part of her wanted to be with her friends.

All she knew in that moment, was that she wanted to go home. Wherever that was.

Trying her best to stay hopeful, she put the note back in the bag and shuffled through it to find something else. She eventually found the cookies Darcy mentioned and smiled softly to herself. She wasn't going to eat them right away in case she'd need to ration them.

When she put the note back, she didn't put the Polaroids back. Instead, she put them in her pockets as well. It was a common theme for y/n. Any memory she could fit in her pocket, she did. Almost as if she was certain that it would never leave her if it was in her pocket.

She zipped up her back and pushed it against where the wall and ground met, creating what would resemble a pillow. With her arms wrapped around herself for warmth - and comfort - she closed her eyes and tried to force herself to go to sleep.

While y/n slept in her makeshift bed, wanda went to bed in her own home. It took a lot for her to finally get into the bed after realising that she was truly alone in the cabin again.

She hugged the pillow that was beside her tightly, hoping she could give herself the same comforting feeling she had the previous night if she just imagined it was y/n, of at least the y/n she thought she knew.

"Did i overreact?" Her mind wandered as she stared into the darkness, "I mean, sword did take everything from me."

She battled with these thoughts, the thoughts that prevented her from be able to fall into the a slumber. The bed felt bigger, the room felt colder, and the cabin felt lonelier just knowing that y/n wasn't anywhere near her.

She worried as she thought about y/n. About where she was, how she was doing, and if she made it to somewhere safe before the sunset.

"They took my family from me. I have every right to be mad." She reminded herself, "but what if she really did forget? What if she wasn't sent here on a mission? What if everything we had was real?"

That was when the regret started hitting. When she yelled at y/n, she wasn't angry at her. She was angry at sword, and what they'd done, but she was never able to express that. Not until one of swords best agents turned out to be standing in front of her. The only problem was that she was in love with the sword agent.

"And what I said about her brother, oh god." She groaned thinking about it, burying her face in the pillow.