VIII. Strangers

Tommy listened to his new mother tell him about the mysterious dimension called Twilight Forest. He hadn't ever thought that a dimension like that would exist.

"How do you know so much about it?" He asked carefully tilting his head. He wasn't sure if he should have asked that.

"O-oh! I-I once visited that place a lot with some old friends of mine..." She answered distantly smiling sadly.

"Alright.." Tommy nodded. "I'm not going to ask more then."

"No, it's alright... I guess I haven't really talked about my past with anyone," She answered quickly. "Maybe you should know," She continued thoughtfully.

"D-do you want to tell?" Tommy was a bit surprised.

"I've been keeping these feelings inside me hidden.. Locked away... These memories... I once wanted to forget them so badly, but I realized I can't run away from the past.." Aphmau spoke sadly.

"You can tell me mum," Tommy wrapped his arms around his mother. He wanted to make her feel better.

"I am the daughter of Thor... I lived with the Few when I was younger... We went to the Twilight a lot.. We had so much fun together.. I even fell in love and adopted kids... But soon it all was gone... Destroyed by my uncle..." She spoke quietly, voice full of sadness and regret.

"That sounds horrible..." Tommy whispered. He felt warm tears in his eyes.

His mother's story had made him feel bad for her. He knew how it felt to lose someone, but she had lost everything.

"I haven't told my past to anyone else in this whole universe... Expect Castor knows, but he was there too... Maybe Hyria knows, I don't know," She spoke quietly.

"I can't really know how to make you feel better... I'm just a naive child... But I'm trying my best.." Tommy spoke hugging her tighter. This woman had saved his life and given him love he needed and deserved. He wanted to show her that he cared and really appreciated everything she had done.

"I know Tommy..! I know you try your best! And it's really helping," Aphmau smiled slightly.

"You know... I never had a mum before," Tommy confessed sadly.

"Did something happen..?" Aphmau asked with worry on her sad voice.

"She died giving birth to me... I never even got a chance to see her.. Nor did she ever get a chance to even hold me..." Tommy spoke quietly.

"I'm sorry to hear that..." Aphmau whispered pitifully.

"It's alright.." Tommy hummed. "I have a mum now," He continued smiling through his tears.

"I promise I'll be the best mom ever," Aphmau smirked. "Don't tell my mom I said that," She continued chuckling.

"I don't even know who your mum is," Tommy chuckled.

"One day you'll find out," Aphmau hummed.

"I'm assuming that day isn't today?" Tommy guessed.

"Not yet," Aphmau chuckled. "But maybe one day I take you to your father's grave in the Hall of Justice," She continued.

"What was his name?" Tommy asked curiously even though he already knew it.

"Sly Stark. My name is Jessica Aphmau Odison-Stark," Aphmau hummed. "I think you would be Tommy Stark, but we don't really use last names here," She continued.

"What we're your kids' names?" Tommy asked.

"Leo and Flippy," Aphmau answered smiling sadly. "They were so young when they died," She whispered.