XXXIV. Plans And Past

"You've been busy lately," Aphmau pointed out to Tommy as the two of them watched Zoey, Isabell and Sally play with their children. She turned to look at him with slight concern in her eyes.

"I'm just doing some researching. Don't worry, it's nothing dangerous," Tommy answered. He wasn't completely lying, just twisting the truth a bit. At least he had a good reason for not being honest as he didn't want to add another worry to his mother's list.

"Do you need help with it?" she asked. "I could help or go get Emmalyn to-," Tommy raised his finger and cut her off before she could finish.

"Don't worry. I know what I'm doing and I'll be fine. I'll ask for help if I need it," he assured her, as if that would stop her from worrying though.

"Fine." Aphmau sighed. "But if you need help, you better ask for it!" she demanded. Tommy chuckled and nodded, assuring her that he would.

They fell into a comfortable silence, but Tommy noticed from the corner of his eye how Aphmau was looking a bit nervous, and maybe guilty. He frowned, starting to feel a bit worried. She had been acting a bit weird lately.

"Is something on your mind?" he asked. She jumped a bit at the sudden question, but tried to pull a quick smile on her lips before trying to assure him that she was fine. It annoyed him.

"Mum, please! I can tell that you're lying!" he snapped. "..I'm sorry." he quickly apologised for raising his voice.

"I guess I'm not the only one who worries then, am I?" Aphmau chuckled, looking down. "But don't worry about me. There's just something going on, but I need to think it through by myself before letting anyone else know," she explained, offering Tommy her kind smile.

"Alright.." Tommy frowned. He didn't like seeing his mother down. She was the one who had saved him and given him the love he had forgotten he needed. She had given him a family and he wouldn't let go of it.

-----

Tommy returned to the wolf once the sun had set. He was really curious about her name, but she didn't seem to be interested in telling it to him.

She was once again sitting by the fire and reading through the notebook where she had written down all the information they had gathered about the Shadow Souls and such.

"There's a Shadow Knight as a prisoner in Phoenix Drop," she said, raising her head to look at him the moment he stopped in front of her.

"I guess," Tommy nodded, confused. She had said that out of blue and he wasn't sure where she was going with it.

"I want to go speak with her. She could give us some useful information," she said. Tommy looked doubtful.

"Do you think she'd even talk to us?" he asked. He had heard the other guards and Aphmau talking about her multiple times, trying to figure out how they could get her to speak.

"We'll get her to speak," she answered. It send chills down Tommy's spine. He didn't dare to ask how they would do that.

"How are we going to get into her prison then?" he asked. The old guard station was being guarded all the time and he had never shown any interest towards the prison, which could cause some suspicions if he wanted to suddenly go see her.

"You are brothers with the Lord of Phoenix Drop, aren't you? You must have a way to get us there somehow," she answered, gazing towards Phoenix Drop.