You get lost and they're worried sick- Diavolo/you/Lucifer - I

[ I also feel really soft about Diavolo and Lucifer with the mc! <3 this scenario could also work as a 'making up after a fight' for you and Diavolo ]

Part I of II
-
Diavolo x you x Lucifer

You weren't having a fight with Diavolo so much as he accidentally said the wrong thing. While you know he never meant to upset you, you just needed a short walk to feel better before talking to him.

When this short walk results in you becoming lost for hours in the wood surrounding the Demon Lord's castle, you're starting to feel like maybe you should have at least taken your phone, or mentioned to one of the castle staff that you were going out.

When the woods go from dark to nearly pitch-black as the moon rises in the sky, you're definitely ready to acknowledge that this whole walk thing was definitely a bad idea.

And when you finally have the particularly bad luck of stumbling into a small pond when the temperature is already horribly cold, you start sincerely planning your apology in your head, you're sure both Diavolo and Lucifer will already be concerned about your absence, but now they're probably going to have to find you looking half-drowned and freezing as well.

As it turns out, worry isn't even the half of it, because by the time Diavolo finds you, he looks nearly as dishevelled as you. It turns out he and Barbatos searched all the most dangerous areas of the woods first, terrified that you might've stumbled down paths that most low-level demons would be reluctant to travel.

When Diavolo sees you, he strides over to you and hugs you completely against him, his face is buried in your shoulder and you can feel his exhale against your neck. He has his wings folded almost completely around you too, which you know he only does if he's truly upset and scared, and you feel so sorry for having gotten into this situation.

"I was so worried!" Diavolo says, keeping your upper arms in his grasp. His eyes are wide and fraught as he looks you up and down. "I was worried sick! I'm so thankful that you're alright!"

He pulls you into another hug as Barbatos quietly catches up to you too, and you can't help feeling strangely emotional when you see even Barbatos looks quite muddy and unkept. You're sure the both of them must've been searching for you far more desperately than they'll let on.

You draw a breath, but then you see Diavolo's on the brink of tears, he's clearly had an awful night and you don't want to keep him any longer in the middle of the woods. He's holding onto you so tightly that his nails are digging into your skin, and he keeps pressing his mouth to a harsh line.

"My Lord, perhaps it would be best if we all warm up in the castle," Barbatos suggests, perhaps trying to save Diavolo in his own way too.

Diavolo is oddly quiet for most of the walk back to the castle, and even though he only tries to nod at you reassuringly when you glance at him, you think he looks terribly sad.

-

"Of course he'd appreciate seeing you," Barbatos tells you gently, when you keep loitering around the halls, wondering if you should knock on Diavolo's door. "If you don't call on him, I'm quite certain he'll wander out here anyhow, hoping to run into you."

Barbatos lets you trail after him down to the kitchens when you hesitate. Your throat feels tight every time it occurs to you: if Diavolo hadn't found you, the last words you parted on were an argument.

"We're all very relieved you're safe," Barbatos says eventually, his gaze momentarily lowered as he frowns. "You're not to blame for getting lost. If anything, I feel I was remiss not to warn you about the dangers of the woods at length."

"Please don't apologise," you say quickly, the last thing you want is for Barbatos to feel guilty as well. Barbatos glances at you, not unkindly. He's preparing a tea set at your side, handing you various jars, then a spoon, then a tea-leaf strainer to hold for him. This isn't because he needs help, you realise, but because he's trying to comfort you too.

"...I really hurt Diavolo," you say under your breath. Barbatos doesn't say anything for a while, and when he turns to you, you have to swallow the stupid urge to burst into tears just from admitting it.

"That's not the case. Not in the way you think," Barbatos offers, then touches his hand to your elbow, as if to steady you, or at least let you know he's there. You can't help feeling heartbroken as you remember Diavolo giving you a last, careful hug as you got back to the castle, then leaving for his room without saying a word.

"If I might..." Barbatos takes a breath, then pauses. "While you were gone, the Young Lord was of the opinion that you wished for time alone from him. I believe that may be why he is not currently at your side."

Barbatos moves the tea tray toward you. When you look down, you realise it's a blend Diavolo often finds soothing.

"I'm sure he wants nothing more than to mend things with you, or at least for you to keep him company a while. While you were lost... well. I'll not trouble you with the details, but both he and Lucifer were in quite a state."

"I'm so so sorry for worrying you!" you blurt into Barbatos's shoulder, you had meant to just apologise, but somewhere along the way it turned into you catching him in a clumsy hug.

Barbatos awkwardly pats your back, his cheeks flushing a little as he lets himself be held.

"...I know that," Barbatos mutters. And then, "I missed you too."