15. A Odd Familiarity

The left side of his cheek was riddled with blotches of red bruises.

Like he was repeatedly struck.

You turned his head and noticed the same on his right cheek, only the bruising was to a lesser extent.

"How did I miss it?" You murmured in distress.

Then you noticed the distinct smell of iron and rust.

Blood. He smelled like blood. It was barely noticeable but present.

The more you noticed, the more the magic spell that cast an illusion over his face faded and more gruesome details were revealed.

Struck speechless at the swelling on his face and his bloodied lips, your expression turned dark.

The boy shrugged off your hands with a stiff expression. "Was it not clear I don't like being touched?"

"I'm sorry." You said quietly as you noticed the dark look on his face.

"Whatever."

"How did you---?"

"That's no concern of yours."

Deafening silence filled up the corridor.

"Let me heal it."

"Excuse me?" The boy turned to look at you.

"I know my magic sucks, still I can heal small injuries to some extent and put my handmade salve for the rest."

The boy stared at your distressed face with bewildered eyes.

"Please."

"Why does it bother you?"

You shook your head in disbelief at the ridiculous question. Wouldn't it bother anyone to see a young boy hurt so badly?

However, he looked genuinely confused and doubtful, so you answered with sincerity.

"No one should be hurt, especially not children. So please, let me take care of it."

After a moment of him scrutinizing you, the doubtful look on his face deepened into something else.

"Are you calling me a child, you?" The boy scoffed.

Looking into your pleading and stubborn eyes, the boy averted his eyes. After a few seconds of silence, he grumbled.

"Make it quick."

You brightened up. "Thank you!"

The boy cringed.  What was so joyful about healing a random stranger?

"Sorry, I've to touch your face."

The boy rolled his eyes. "I know."

You didn't take offense to his rude behavior.

"Tell me if it hurts too much.”

You murmured as you moved your hands over his bruised cheeks, touching them as you assessed the extent of his injuries. He tensed up under your touch. You could sense his discomfort, so you hurried up.

You quickly healed the injuries you could with your magic and pulled out the medicine box from your bag to put on the rest of the bruises. Whenever he tensed up beneath your fingertips, or let out rough groans, you would ease up, and move to the next area after he had relaxed once more.

"It’s all right.” You tenderly whispered while he attempted to stay still but couldn't help the faint flinches.

You gently patted him on the uninjured area in a vague attempt to console the wounded boy.

He pulled a face at the gesture. "Are you done?"

You were done and pulled away with respect to his personal space.

The boy touched his cheek with a odd expression and fixed his gaze on you.

"...You shouldn't go around displaying your magical abilities."

"What you do mean?" You asked lost at the out of blue topic. "What would happen if someone discovered my abilities?"

The boy sighed like he couldn't bother but replied anyway.

"The members of the Royal bloodline have a monopoly over any existing mages as mages are excellent military tools and if left unchecked they can pose a serious threat to the Empire. Therefore, every mage has the mandatory obligation to register themselves to the Imperial Magistrate of Mages or risk severe punishment."

"Oh."

You never heard of it. Then again you never told anyone about your little magic tricks.

"Claude."

"What?"

Claude?

Why does the name sound familiar? Something in your gut told you that you heard it before. But where?

You frowned as you tried to think. But came up with nothing. The familiarity of the name nagged at you but you couldn't place why.

"My name's Claude."

The boy started to fidget and scowl under your silent eyes.

You blinked, and then giggles escaped your lips.

"What's so funny?" The boy asked with a dark expression.

"I thought you weren't going to give your name. Changed your mind, huh?"

He clicked his tongue. "You're right. I should have refrained from indulging in pointless chatter."

"Aww, don't get mad. I meant no harm. And your name has a fancy ring on it. Claude. Are you a Knight by any chance?"

"..."

His odd, disturbed stare went unnoticed by you as you pondered over the name.

"Actually, it sounds like a fancy Emperor's name, now I think about it. It got that intimidating and cool ring to it."

"Are you uneducated?"

You were taken aback, "Excuse you! I'm very much educated!"

"An educated fool?"

"Wow, you sure are getting comfortable with me, aren't you?"

Claude shrugged. "I'm making an observation."

"Your observation skills suck."

Claude turned his head away.

"I know you're laughing at me!"

"Don't be absurd."

"Then why are you smiling?" You pointed out with a grumble.

"I'm smiling...?" The smile disappeared from his lips in a fit of bewilderment. He touched his lips as if to find the smile you were accusing him of.

You made a face. "Gosh, not big on self-awareness, are you?"

He scowled.

"(Y/n)!"

You turned your head at the call of your name.

"They found me." You murmured under your breath in disappointment.

When you turned your head back, Claude was gone.

"What?" You hastily looked around but found no one except for the knights guarding the galleries and the two sisters calling for you.

"He left without a word. Jerkface."

You got reprimanded by the Judith sisters and they even discussed severely punishing you. You zoned out from the whole ordeal until you saw a shadow lurking behind the sisters. Confused, you watched him closely and noticed a glinting object in his hand.

An assassination attempt.

"Watch out!"

Your shout gathered the attention of the crowd and the sisters. But the assassin was faster than them. You had no choice but to use magic to shield Rosalia and push back the assassin.

You remembered the stern warning not to use magic from the blue-eyed boy.

"Dammit.."