19. Clipped Wings

Lord Lionel brought terrible news.

They had found out about your magical abilities as well as your healing expertise.

That was within your expectations.

However, what came to you as a shock was the fact you had to start serving the Emperor and the Imperial family.

You couldn't do anything when you were dragged to the Black Tower of Mages. Surrounded by many mages, you were ordered to sign a Soul Binding Contract.

The Contract stated that you were only to serve the Emperor and Royal bloodline, obey the orders you were given by them, and any instance of disobedience would be met with swift punishment or prosecution.

There were many other clauses and protocols. But these three stood out to you.

Once you signed the contract, the validity of the contract would continue until you were coming of age or attaining eighteen years. Within that time frame, you would trained to be a proper Royal Mage. And once the first contract became invalid, you would be forced to sign another Contract whose validity would continue lifelong.

It meant you could never leave the Imperial ground, forever doomed to serve the Imperial family.

You had no choice with so many mages surrounding you, intimidating and coercing you into making a decision.

With cold hands and a numb heart, you signed the contract with your blood. The moment you finished the contract, you felt a restriction being placed on your heart with a painful sensation.

"Mages serve the Crown and are loyal to the Empire. They hold a high position and respect in the court and they have their ranking system too. Once you prove yourself valuable, you will get your ranking. Till then do your best to become someone of worth."

Utter bullshit. What a nice way to sugarcoat the slavery going on in the name of loyalty.

Now you were part of that slave system.

Your eyes trembled and cold chills ran down your body.

You were then taken away to show the chamber you would live in starting that day.

You kept your silence as one of the knights escorted you.

Even though you did your best to mask your negative emotions, your steps rang loud and sharp on the marble floor.

As you walked beside the knight, you could sense eyes on you. You felt the disdain and morbid curiosity of other Mages.

You didn't think you could make any connection here given your low status and people's disgust towards those they deemed inferior.

You quietly let go of any expectations of making friends here. 'Survive till you make out of here,' became your motto.

"Your current living quarter will be on the ground floor of the White Tower. You would go higher as your abilities advance and improve. Once you prove yourself, well you'll earn your own quarter on the top floor of the White Tower which is only granted to top-notch Royal Healers. The position is unique. They come second to the Great Magician of the Black Tower."

That perked up your sour mood. "There is a ranking system?"

The Knight spared you a glance. "Yes,

Before you could ask more to satiate your curiosity, another Knight's appearance stopped you.

"His Royal Highness has requested all the Knights to be present in the throne room."

"Yes sir, I'll be there right away!" Your assigned Knight answered without hesitation.