91. Fate? What Bullshit

Fate is not simple as ending a story. It's unpredictable and uncontrollable. Sometimes it takes courage of one person to rewrite the fate.

And sometimes that before that realization comes a pit of despair.

The moment Claude opened his eyes, he knew something was wrong. It was a small feeling like an itch, persistently growing stronger.

Unable to pinpoint the reason for the restlessness, Claude squinted, trying to push away the drowsiness clouding his mind. It took him a while to get his bearings as he aimlessly looked around with a lost expression.

The room was the same as usual. ...No, not as usual. Cold.

It was cold. And empty.

He slowly sat up, clutching his throbbing head. He could feel the remnants of foreign magic running through his body.

Even with his scattered state, he could tell it was the the spell used to forcefully put him to sleep. And it was familiar. Awfully familiar.

A quiet breath slipped past Claude's lips as he looked at the empty space beside him. His fingers curled on the blanket as a burning sensation scorched his heart.

Memories flooded his mind. Gentle at first before coming in violent waves.

Uncurling his fingers, he looked at the thing poking his palm. A lone pendant glimmered in blue hue.

"Why..."

Claude murmured, enclosing his fingers into tight fist.

Unfortunately, no one was there to answer his question. The person who could answer him long left for somewhere far away.

Claude fingers faintly trembled. The pendant in his clenched fist... It was cold. Lifeless. Lacking any resemblance of warmth, as if it never adorned someone's neck.

Violent emotions surged through his veins and he sucked in a sharp breath to calm it.

While trying to keep the bubbling emotions at bay, his eyes gazing at the pendant fluctuated unstably.

Again. It was as if fate was mocking him. An encore of a regretful event were repeating itself and once again he was helpless against it.

It was unclear how long he kept staring at the pendant with unfocused pair of eyes when a loud bang on the door made him twitch, snapping him out of his trance.

The look on his face as he lifted his head was eerily void.

"Your majesty!" Felix's frantic cry came muffled through the door.

Claude barely moved. Blinking as if he had lost all senses and couldn't process anything. It was like a distant noise buzzing in his ringing ears.

"Your majesty! Please open the door! Is (Y/n) with you?! Is she alright? Can I see her?"

(Y/n)...

That's right. Will she be here?

Like a drop of water startling the still river, the thought rippled through his muddled mind.

He looked around. Had he searched the room?

Claude hoisted himself off the bed. Were you hiding in the room? Playing a prank like usually you did?

Claude walked around with weak steps, his eyes flickering, searching, looking everywhere in hopes of finding you.

"(Y/n)..?" He called out softly and waited for a reply. He frowned when his words were met with silence.

"(Y/n)?" He called out again, sternly this time. It was still a weak mumble with no energy. His staggering feets carried him around the room. "(Y/n), please stop this madness. It isn't funny."