90. The End Of A Story

"All this time...did you hate me?"

Your heart was in your throat. His voice was so weak, so uncertain and the look in his eyes as he stared at you made it seems like his life dependent on your reply.

You swallowed the trembling breath trying to escape your lips. Even if it was the chance, a golden opportunity presented to you to break away, you couldn't bring yourself to lie.

You couldn't hurt him with the lie you knew would break his heart. You just couldn't do it.

You lightly shook your head.

The tension in his body melted with the breath he let out. He leaned against the door like he was drained from asking you just that one question.

"You resent me."

You pursued your lips. "I did once."

Silence stretched out as Claude's head lowered slowly.

"Do you regret it?" Claude asked staring at the floor. His hair casted a shadow over his eyes as he looked at you through his bangs. "Falling in love with me?"

You stared at him, heart clenching at his pained expression. Something told you he wasn't looking for an answer from you.

"Do you want me to?" You asked instead.

Claude squeezed his eyes shut. There was a struggle going on within him. Whether it was with him or the situation, you couldn't tell as his closed lids trembled faintly. And finally, his lips parted, "...You died in my arms, in your last breath, you only had regrets and most of them revolved around me." Claude said. You couldn't discern the emotion laced in his low whisper. "When I was dying, I also had regrets, lots of them. But the one that most haunts me was your regret. You regretted it, the love you had for me."

You didn't say anything. There wasn't anything to say. He was speaking the truth.

"But honestly thinking about it, that wasn't my regret, my regret was to let you slip through my fingers. You know I learnt from that?" You shuddered when he lifted his head and you saw the dark emotions swirling violently in his eyes. "It doesn't matter if you regret falling in love with me. It doesn't matter if you hate me, or resent me, the only thing matters is for you to stay with me."

That's right. It didn't matter if the past would create rifts between you and him. It didn't matter if you grew to resent him one day. Rifts and misunderstandings could be mended. Distance could be closed. All that would be possible if you stayed. As long as you remained by his side, no matter how difficult the situation was, everything could be mended. He could repent all his mistakes. He could make up for all the hurt he caused. He could try his best to resolve all the regrets. Things could be set right only if you stayed with him

However, if you disappeared on him, everything would be meaningless. There would be no point in trying to do anything. After all, you can't mend things with someone who disappeared.

"Claude..."

"I rather live with your resentment, your hatred than lose you. I don't want to lose you, (Y/n). I'll say it hundreds of times for you to understand. I won't let you leave me."

A bitter laugh escaped your lips. You shook your head bitterly. "See? I told you, you won't understand. This isn't only about you and me... I...," You bit your lip and looked at him with a sorrowful gaze. "Do you think my biggest regret was my love was for? No, my biggest regret was not able to protect you, Athanasia and everyone I cared for. I watched you all die. I watched everything come to an end. Burn down to ashes. I watch it all, helpless to do anything."

You somehow managed to continue speaking as overwhelming emotions rushed through you.

"I don't want a repeat of that. I'm almost there. Just a little more...Don't stop me, Claude. Please."