32. A Bond Similar To Magic

Months had passed since you came here to the palace. Months of hell worth your life. Your squabble with Roman had settled down. He was much more patient and tolerant but that didn't mean he hated you any less though he got better at hiding it.

You had made so much progress in learning medical herbs. It kept you busy for weeks with examinations and practicals to show your worth to your superiors. They acknowledged you but were quite disappointed that you lacked in the poisoning field. At least they thought. It's for the better. Even if you know everything about poison and antidote, you showed that. You didn't want to become the weapon they could use.

Your efforts finally paid off. Now you had your room in the Healer's tower rather than the room in the maid's residents.

The Healer's tower is like the Black Tower of Magicians. But unlike the Black Tower, it worked on the ranking system. The more talented and skilled you are, the more luxurious and high-level you'll get. It had a total of 25 levels. It gets upgraded each year with residents changing rooms according to their measured-up skills. With you occupying the ground level. You had the ground floor room that barely consist of a bed and a small bookshelf. Simple and cozy just like your style. You were so happy to finally have your own space.

Nothing exhilarating happened in the past months. Your friendship with Claude and Felix got deeper and more strong.

Though the monotonous brick of ice has become quieter and colder. He just likes being there when you had your quality moments, no talk, nothing. A thing you wanted to redeem. By annoying him out of his radio silence.

"Claude!!" You exclaimed cheerfully. "I missed you!"

You launched yourself at him with a happy grin. Ready to hug the daylights out of him.

Claude didn't even blink. He merely sidestep and dodged your attack with a simple tsk.

Your face planted, grunting at the pain that shot up your forehead.

"We just met yesterday so there is nothing to miss. And haven't you learned your lesson yet? How many times have we been here? Can't you give up already?" Claude said flatly.

It's became a daily routine for you to try and hug him and for him to invade all your advances.

You sat up with a stubborn pout. "Can't you give up and let me hug you? Don't you know the saying 'A hug a day keeps sadness away!'.

"Don't make things out of the blue to suit yourself."

"But it's true. And if you don't want it, I'll just give my hug to Felix." You stuck your tongue out and stood up dusting yourself and sprinted to Felix who watched the whole exchange with a smile.

"Felix!! I missed you more."

Felix simply opened his arms to catch your incoming body effortlessly. He patted your forehead with a flowery smile.

Claude watched as you gave Felix a koala hug, melting into his arms like a baby. He clicked his tongue in irritation.

"Why do you always encourage her childish antics, Felix? Or have you only grown physically and are still stuck in a childlike mentality?"

Felix had become an expert at ignoring the jab from his brother. He simply beamed at him, a gentle aura surrounding him.

"I like her hugs. She's warm and soft. It does make me happy." Felix answered with an earnest smile. And you give Claude a smug look as if to say 'see what you're missing out.

"Insolent brat."

"Gah!"

You jumped back from Felix who suddenly let out a high-pitched shriek. Heart thudding in your chest, you let out a shaky breath.