84. Loose Ties

You didn't know what to expect when you moved to finish your last task at Alpheus Mansion.

One thing was for sure it wasn't Anastacius and Jennette's interaction. It left an odd bitter taste in your mouth.

Because no matter how much you searched for deception on Anastacius face, there wasn't any to find. He wasn't acting, there was genuine affection in the way he smiled at her, his hand softly patting her head.

Perched on the branch overlooking the inside of the mansion through a glass window, you frowned. Now what? You came here for Jennette's sake, to free her from the reins of her Father but now as the things were, you weren't sure what to do.

Of course, it wasn't going to completely deterred from your end goal. This was the last remnants of loose threads you wanted to tie up and be finished with. Only now you need to reevaluate your plan.

Stifling a groan, you push off the branch and onto the roof before making your way inside. Waiting in the room you observed was Anastacius'.

Sighing, you leaned back against the sofa and crossed your legs, closing your eyes as you focused on the stinging pain travelling through your body in rapid succession. It was dull like an itch on the back where your hands couldn't reach. Or like a pulsing headache that was more of annoyance and bother rather than concern. At least to you.

You promptly ignored it. It was a sign the time was closing in and that you need to hurry up. So..bothersome.

Tapping your legs, you went over the plan, calculating all the ways it could go wrong and coming up with countermeasures. You had been planning it for a long time. Half a month to be exact, right after the baffling revelation at the debutante. You would've preferred if Ether was here with you but you had to leave him behind to deceive Claude. Leaving under his watchful gaze was hard even with the help of Ether. Keeping him in dark would be even more difficult. You hoped Ether wouldn't screw up his disguise.

It didn't take long. Soft footsteps stepped into the room and the sound of the opening and closing of door accompanied it.

Immediately the steps halted and you opened your eyes with a small smirk. "Hello, Anastacius."

Anastacius stiffen. "You..."

You snapped your fingers feigning a thoughtful expression. "Oh wait you're going by another name. What was it? Hmm- never mind that. You don't look happy to see me. Shame."

Anastacius forced himself to move, taking stiff steps closer. "How did you know?"

You cocked your head to the side, "You made it easy. Sneaking around in open. Almost as if you were practically begging to be found."

Anastacius smiled crookedly. "Who knows. Maybe I was luring you into a trap and you willingly fell for it."

"Ah," You nodded. "That's where you are wrong, Anastacius. I did come here willingly- not to fall for your trap but to eliminate you. After all, you are last on my bucket list, one I need to tick off."

In a flash, his eyes flashed red and a burst of explosive red attacked you. You easily deflected it and it crashed against the wall behind you creating a sizable dent.

You whistled, "Poor Alpheus. He's not going to be happy with you wrecking his place, you know."

He growled aiming another attack. You created a shield to counter and flashed behind him, kicking his legs. Grunting he fell on his knees and you pressed a knife to his jugular. "Move and you die. Now, why don't you show yourself, you bastard."

Anastacius begin laughing. "A brat like you will kill me, don't make me laugh! I'm not weak to die by your hands!"

Black magic burst from him forcefully, throwing him back against the wall. You groaned in pain as you slid down. You grunted as a wisp of black coiled around your body and neck pulled you upright.