41. Distance between us

You sneaked a look outside the window of white tower having finished your assignments. You were drained from all the healing you done. Your mana exhausted. You had not energy to play nice.

Left, right, up, down.

Huh? Coast was clear today.

No Penelope sighted.

You stepped out, bracing yourself for Penelope to pop out like a ghost but she didn't.

She wasn't there smiling creepily, holding a parsol or hand-fan, flaunting her beauty and greeting you.

Was she sent back home after yesterday's visit?

No, you saw her in the morning. Just a glimpse of her but that bebunked the leaving theory. But why wasn't she here?

Which was strange but cool. You didn't have to energy to entertain her.

You shrugged and sluggishly made your way to your usual meeting place.

Come to think of it, where is my troublemaker Cat? I hope he isn't tormenting Penelope or terrorizing the servants.

You finally reached your destination and reached out your hand before you stopped hearing murmurs coming from within.

Was Claude in there?

....But, you pressed your ears close to the door you could hear another voice. A female voice.

"......I'll tell....er..myself."

"Of course....highness... don't want to hide things from her as....sister."

The voice was too low to make out actually what they were saying. Only bits and pieces making sense to you.

Giving up on eavesdropping you barged in. That was enough to startle the two figures inside.

Penelope and Claude were quick to control their expression. And calmly return back to their composure.

"Where is the fire?" As expected the first one to comment was Claude with his sarcasm dripping words.

"Little sister, don't come in so quickly, you startled me." She breathed out, tightening her hand on.. You squinted your eyes. Why was she latched on Claude's arm and why wasn't he throwing her off.

Your mood immediately soured as you stomped your way in. "There is no fire. I was just eager to see but you seem quite comfortable without me. Hmph!"

You rudely plopped sofa opposite of them because dear old sister had taken your place beside Claude.

To Claude's credit he didn't, at least look comfortable with Penelope beside him. You would have exploded right there and then.

"You seem to be in a merry mood." Claude's sarcasm made you even more irritated.

"Working for straight 5 hours does that to you." You reached out and took a aggressive bite of the donut giving Claude stinky eyes.

Claude frowned.

Penelope worriedly looked at you. "Oh dear, are you alright?"

Do I look alright to you? You grunted giving another aggravated, 'hmph!'

Penelope's brow creased at your rudeness.

Once finishing your donut you took a deep breath trying to pinpoint why you felt so agitated, especially when Penelope inched closer to Claude.

You forced a smile after a while. "Sorry. I was hungry. I feel much better now."

Both of them quietly eyed you as if you were ticking bomb. Your smile twitched but remained in place.