92. A Pitiful Heart

Athanasia ran desperately.

Lucas continuously cursed as he followed her. Athanasia didn't care. She ignored Lily calling out to her in concern as she run out of the Emerald palace and towards the Garnett palace.

She knew her Dad had something to do with it. That cold-hearted man had to be it. Though he was her father and things had been going so well, so well she had almost forgotten what kind of person he was.

He was the same person who condemned her in the past. The same person who had caused nothing but suffering to her. He was the reason she was dead and her last moments were only filled with despair and agony.

He probably did something to you to make you run away so abruptly, without saying a word to anyone.

No. You hadn't left without saying a word. Athanasia closed her eyes, an image shrouded in kindness and warmth surfaced. She sucked a shaky breath. Last night what she had thought was a mere dream was your last goodbye.

Her throat stung with repressed sobs as she recalled last night. The words she remembered were full of kindness and warmth. Wanting, hoping for the best for her.

She didn't care for etiquette as she barged into Claude's office, glaring at the man sitting behind the desk.

The nobles were startled at her sudden appearance and almost dropped the documents in their hands in shock. Claude took a single glance at Athanasia and waved a hand to dismiss them.

Athanasia waited until the room was empty except for her and the man sitting behind the desk.

"Athanasia, what's wrong?"

Claude moved towards her, his stance nonchalant as usual. Nothing changed about him. Nothing.

Athanasia's hands clenched into tight fists.

The same callousness, the same nonchalant voice. It gritted on her ears. How could he sound so apathetic? It was like he didn't care you disappeared.

"Why did Mom leave?" Athanasia demanded.

Claude furrowed his brows, looking a little bit bewildered. It was the first time he saw the such an unfamiliar expression on the child's face. The cheerful, sometimes mischievous girl was looking like a stranger.

"..."

Athanasia gritted her teeth at his cold silence. She repeated the question. "Dad, why did Mom leave?"

No reply.

Claude sighed, his expression unreadable as he moved towards her. "I.. I don't know. Despite spending so much time claiming to understand her, I don't have an answer."

Athanasia almost scoffed. As if the he could understand anyone.

Claude composed himself, "But don't worry. I will find the answer soon."

Claude made a move to pat her head but Athanasia took a step back. The air changed as Claude looked at her blankly, his hand still lingering in the air.

He dropped his hand.

"...Athanasia, I know you are worried, maybe even scared. However, have some ...faith in me. I'll take care of everything. Everything will be fine.. I give you my word."

Athanasia found no solace in his halting words. She felt like he going in circles to avoid answering her question.

Seeing the unveiled hostility in her eyes, Claude felt strange. It was first time he saw Athanasia making such expression.

Feeling something amiss, he cautiously asked, "Is there something you want to tell me?"

Athanasia couldn't help but laugh at that question. He sounds concerned. As if his unfeeling heart could understand concern!