58. Boat ride

You stood warily as Claude stopped before Athy.

It was only seconds ago you were playing with Athy in the garden when Claude randomly showed up without warning.

Doesn't this guy have other things to do other than terrorizing you and Athy?

"I think you got a bit chubbier since I last saw you," Claude observed, holding his chin as he studied Athy. His robe swayed in the breeze and much to your embarrassment and annoyance--his toned chest and abs were on full display.

Your expression twisted at his words and you gave him a 'bitch what?' look. But the second he turned to you, you forced a smile.

"Greetings, your Majesty." You said. Sarcasm was heavy in your voice and you hoped Claude didn't pick on it.

Claude narrowed his eyes, a dangerous glint flashing in his blue eyes. Unfortunately, he did pick on your not-so-subtle sarcasm.

"Look, who's starting to use her tongue? And quite boldly so."

Your pleasant smile didn't falter as you looked at him with feigned confusion, "I have no idea what His Majesty is implying. Should I stop greeting you, does it annoy you?"

"You need to work on your subtlety," Claude said, rolling his eyes. "As for what I'm implying, I don't need to outright spell it, any person with a half brain can figure it out."

"But wouldn't it save time for us if his majesty just spell it out for me." You said smiling sweetly, internally irked by his insult. "As majesty puts it I'm not good at subtlety. As a matter of fact, I'm not good at taking subtle hints either."

"You never were," Claude smirked condescendingly. "I doubt you'd ever be."

This jerk..!

You forced a laugh. "Your Majesty shouldn't be so sure of it. After all, people learn and grow up."

You paused dramatically before giving him a closed eye smile. "But then again not everyone does. Some do like to stay in their presumptuous childish phase. Isn't that right, your majesty?"

It's only after the words left your mouth that you regretted it.

Mouth, shut up!

You internally panicked when you noticed Claude's eyes darkening into a deeper shade of blue.

Felix and Lily paled at the sidelines. Athy's smile becomes more strained. She shot you a 'are you crazy?!' look.

Claude wordlessly stared at you, blue eyes flashing dangerously. You didn't break eye contact, holding your ground, even if the urge to cower was strong.

"Hehe, Papa looks pretty today! More than before!"

Athy cheerfully interjected. The tension in the air grew higher for a second as Claude turned his attention to Athy. His expression bored and stoic. Athy continued to smile brightly, but her hands shook discreetly.

You shuddered once his focus was off you, feeling cold sweats on your nape. Claude's attention was terrifying. Especially his cold glistening blue eyes. It felt like being plunged headfirst into ice-cold water.

"Follow me," Claude said finally after a whole minute of staring at Athy and walked away. Expecting others to follow him.

You drew in a long breath and beside you, Felix, Lily and Athy let out sighs of relief

"I was on my way to the lake. Get ready and join me."

Exchanging a dreaded look with Lily, you followed Claude.