56. Terrifying Meeting

It has to be a coincidence.

You sat on the sofa with Athy closely sticking to your side. You wanted to pat her head and reassure her but unfortunately you didn't have that level of optimism when facing the devil, not when you were shaking in your boots yourself.

But that wasn't what worried you. You anxiously eyed the desserts served.

They all were your all time favourite ones. One you enjoyed back then when you still were friends with this scary Emperor.

If it was coincidence, it sure was creepy one.

You didn't put anything in it, did you? You peeked a suspicious look only to snap your eyes away when you  caught his cold eyes.

Your pulsed raced as your palm grew sweaty. You avoided his gaze that seem to drill a hole into your skull.

Geez, he was seriously going to drill a hole if he didn't stop his dagger like glare.

"..."

The stifling silence wasn't helping either. If anything, it made Claude more intimidating than he already was.

Felix shifted uneasily behind Claude. He probably had tons of questions for you. How you were alive? Where were you? What were you doing here? But Claude seem in no hurry to interrogate you, instead his attention was fixed on Athy, much to your dismay.

Claude remained silent, observing Athy who fearfully avoided his gaze as you did earlier.

"I didn't know you couldn't speak."

"Hk!"

Athy flinched, scooting closer to you. You grabbed her tiny hands and gave it a squeeze only to flinch yourself when Claude addressed you.

"Considering the fact you know her, you should be chirping like bird."

Pardon me sir, are you saying I'm some kind of annoying chatterbox?!

You wanted to give him your best stinky eyes but you were afraid he would gouge your eyes out for being disrespectful.

Yeah, let's not gamble with your life. It's too precious.

"Well, this is boring." Claude drawled out, leaning back on the sofa with bored expression. "Not much of a talker?"

"She can talk/ Athy can talk."

You and athy spoke at the same time. Your guts told something awful might happen if this guy became bored. What if he just chopped off your limbs for his entertainment.

Ah, I'm scaring myself!

Claude raised a single eyebrow and said in cold tone, "You can speak afterall. So why did you stay silent until now?"

It's your fault! Why were looking at her like she was some creature you never seen. Of course she's going to be uncomfortable.

You didn't voice your thoughts. Certainly that was a good thing. Considering most of them were composed of curses and badmouthing about him.

Thankfully Felix was there. He leaned in and said to Claude, "Pardon me your majesty but girls her age are known to be very shy."

"Is that so?" Claude indifferently remarked.

No. Not exactly. Athy was a bright child and wasn't one to be shy. The only reason she was acting so docile was because of the scary person infront of her.

You wanted to cry. What the hell did it happen to you?! You were going to leave within days. So why did your plan went down the gutter!

Unaware of your nervous breakdown, Claude leaned back lazily and looked thoughtful for a moment.