35. Willful Wish

Yep, I'm truly, royally screwed!!

You turned away, dashing away from the blazing twin blue flames.

But you didn't get far. A hand grabbed your wrist and steered you away from.. wherever you were running blindly away in your panic.

The flash of gold on his back made you shut your eyes and surrender to your fate.

Goodbye, my fantasy world! I'm sorry I couldn't explore you! I'm sorry my cute, magical beasts I won't be able to meet! You internally let out exaggerated tears, lamenting over your loss.

He dragged you off, into a deserted hallway. Stopping and letting go of your wrist.

The shadows from the giant pillars fell around, bathing him in darkness. While the lights of the ball washed over your nervous features.

You stared at him. He stared back. Only your stare was one of a frightened puppy and his evil villain

Bright lights melted the shadows as you stood in the light while the shadow shrouded him, making his dazzling icy blue eyes pop out.

"Had your fun?"

You ignored his sarcastic words and beamed at him falsely.

"Hi there, buddy! What a coincidence to meet you here! Ah! I remember I had a ton of assignments to finish. So Igottagobye!" You stammered, dashing away from Claude who stood glaring at you coldly.

"Y/n."

Instantly you felt your feet halt, refusing your command to make a run for it. Without your will, your body turned around to face his writhing glare.

You waved at him, with a forced cheerful grin. "What's up? Eek--! You are making quite a scary face there? It doesn't suit your adorable face, not at all!!"

His fists clenched by his side. "What the hell are you playing at? Didn't I say not to get yourself involved in my business?"

You feigned confusion. "Business? What business? I never knew you had a business going on--hk!"

He narrowed his eyes at you dangerously, a deadly scowl creeping on his face.

"Not the humorous one are you?" Your breath hitched nervously, and you smiled sheepishly. It felt like you were back at the principal's office waiting nervously over the edge for the reason you were summoned.

His shoes made a clinking sound on the marble floor as he stopped in front of you, glaring down. "You stupid idiot, have you got any idea what would've happened if they had got you red-handed?"

You guessed it, trying to douse off the chilling atmosphere. "I would've got executed..?"

"So the lady can use her brain. And still, you went and caused trouble." A sardonic smirk tugged on his soft lips.

"Causing trouble is fun! You should try it sometime. Trust me it won't be disappointing. Hehe," You awkwardly laughed, ignoring the chills running down your spine.

He gave you a flat stare and sighed. "I don't know why I even try. I better reason with a brick than with you."

"Brick can't praise your smartness, Claude, I can. So you are better off picking me!" You give him thumbs up with a sparkling toothy grin.

A tense moment passed when he inquired about you again. "Why? Why would you go and do that? Humiliating the Empress in front of everyone, what would you gain from it?"

A cold, suffocating silence ensued as you tried to collect yourself and explain to him.

When you didn't answer his eyes narrowed. "Are you pitying me? I don't want your pity, (y/n) If that's why you're doing it then you can stop right now. It's annoying."