89. Time To Say Goodbye

Nothing lasts forever.

Everything eventually finds its end. Like a story that slowly draws closer to its epilogue.

Life was a tapestry of meeting and losing people. Experiencing joy, pain, love, heartache and every other emotion on the spectrum.

Most would deny it. Because believing such a concept was too painful.

But once faced with the reality of losing someone you thought you'd spent your whole life with, and shouldering the pain of moving forward, one couldn't simply discard the truth, however bitter it was.

There was a solace to that pain. A small reprieve.

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow held hope and new possibilities of fresh starts and new bonds. Even if your past was painful, even if your present was suffocating, as long there was a tomorrow to come, you would always find yourself the chance to start anew.

It wouldn't take away the pain, wouldn't replace the loss but time was a wonderful thing. As long as you haven't abandoned yourself, and hadn't given up on finding happiness, you'd always find another reason to smile as you move forward.

It was something you believed in.

You prayed those hopeful rays of tomorrow would shine upon the people, the family you were about to leave behind.

You took a deep breath. Moving hurt as you shifted your position. Your body faintly throbbed, some parts more sore than others. You didn't mind. You hoped this faint throbbing would accompany you till your last breath as a reminder of all the beautiful memories you build with the one you loved the most.

You stared at the person sleeping peacefully beside you with one hand clasped tightly over your waist, the other curled under your head, breathing softly as exhaustion shone on his face, burning the sight in your memories so you'd never forget.

Your touch was soft, barely carrying any weight as you traced his sharp features. He didn't twitch, unlike most times when he'd grab your hand and pull you closer. You were both disappointed and glad.

Disappointed because for one last time you wanted to gaze into his eyes, take in all the small details, all the hues that coloured his eyes and reminiscence the times the same eyes smiled at you with varying emotions reserved only for you.

Glad because it would be easy to leave, even if it was a coward's thing to do, you'd escape the last moment of suffering where you would've to watch him fall apart.

You sat up sluggishly, blankly staring ahead as the reluctance to move away from the familiar warmth sat heavily in your stomach. Letting out a shaky breath, you carefully removed the deadlock on your waist.

Claude's brows pulled together, hands flexing at the sudden absence of warmth in alarm.

You almost laughed all the while feeling the urge to cry hysterically.

Brushing back the stray strands from his forehead, you pressed a soft kiss. You felt him relax into your touch, the frown pulling at his brows easing away, his shallow breathing deepening again. You lingered there, breathing softly against him, eyes shut tightly to press down the burning.

Slowly moving away, you placed a pillow in your place, the one which was still warm from use and it worked in lulling Claude into false security and you moved away completely.

You took a short shower. Outside the sky was dark, and eerily silent. A whole day was spent locked in the bedroom and no one disturbed you, it was a miracle knowing how restless they would've been about you. You didn't know how Claude managed to hold off everyone for an entire day while both of you were fooling on the bed. You suspected it was consideration on their part rather than Claude's persuasion.