95. Come Back To Me

"Celestria, have you forgotten the pact? How dare you raise a hand at him..."

Celestria tilted her head nonchalantly, "I was merely assisting the lost child. He does not belong here yet stubbornly refuses to leave. What was I supposed to do?"

"I do not care for your excuses, Celestria. No matter what never touch him again."

Celestria fell silent, quietly stepping back into the shadows as she obliged with your demand.

Barely paying attention to the exchange, Claude solely focused on your voice. He was immediately flooded with relief.

You were alive. Claude let out a shuddering breath. He wasn't late.

Celestria took one last look at him and gently tapped the mist and slowly the mist coiled around her protectively.

Celestria sighed and regarded Claude with a cold warning look.

"This might be the last time you hear from her. Burn it in your memories and leave."

Claude coldly glared at her, pressing his lips together as she faded away from sight.

"Claude..."

Claude snapped back to attention, looking around. "Where are you? I can't see you."

"I can't show myself to you."

"..Why? Are you hurt? Did she do something to you? Tell me you're unharmed."

Claude demanded, nerves on edge the more time it took for you to answer. And when you did answer, it wasn't what Claude wanted to hear.

"...When did you do it? When did you bind our souls together? Why didn't you tell me anything?"

Claude exhaled through clenched teeth and averted his eyes, feeling a tinge of guilt. "...Long back ago. The first time I felt an unknown presence lurking around you. I was worried something would harm you without me knowing. I.."

"You did it without my consent and never said a word to me."

"I'm sorry..." Claude muttered.

Claude wasn't truly remorseful. After all, what he had suspected did end up happening. Only because of the bind, he was able to find you. What if he had not cast the spell?

Claude avoided that line of thought for his sanity.

"I'm breaking the bind."

Claude jerked as if he was slapped. "What? No, you won't."

Claude's warning went unnoticed as the voice sharply rose in resentment.

"You can't die. You can't... You have so much life to live. What about Athanasia? You can't leave her. She will be alone again. She suffered enough as it is, even if Felix can take care of her, he can't replace you. She will feel lost again. Why did you come here for?"

"... Hey," Claude's breath hitched. You were panicking. He could feel the cracking of your voice. He desperately looked around, his heart aching to embrace you. "Everything will be fine. Please, take deep breaths and calm down."

"Calm down? Don't tell me to calm down! Why did you come here? You should have stayed back, taking care of yourself and Athanasia! There was no need for you to come here. It's useless. There's nothing you can do. Why can't you understand? There's nothing you can do. So please, please go back and never look back. Forget about me!"

Claude fell silent. Though he couldn't see you, he knew you were making a pained expression from the voice alone.

"..."