66. Steps In Healing

"Athy, be careful!"

You called out as Athy ran around the garden chasing after a butterfly. Athy paused and waved before resuming her chase.

"What's so fun about chasing insects?"

You glanced at your side as Claude spoke up. You were standing side by side, arms brushing occasionally because it seems he had forgotten the concept of personal space.

It's been months since his shocking confession- well not confession per se. Months since you last saw him except the occasion when Athy would go meet him and you begrudgingly followed her. He was quite busy with the Empire affairs and upcoming winter preparation.

And the complaints of magical artifacts being stolen all around the empire only increased his workload. You pitied him. Being an Emperor wasn't all easy.

Now finally weeks after completing all his works, he was back to agonizing you with his indirect, subtle conflicting moves.

Well, you both have been dancing around the issue. Claude was honest, brutally so but when it came to feelings, he always opts for indirect tactics instead of being direct. You honestly wanted him to come clean with his feelings. But let's be honest, Claude was a walking contradiction. What he says contrasts his actions.

"What's so fun about watching someone chase insects?" You said bluntly. "It isn't obligatory and honestly you can go back to work, your Majesty."

You would've thought twice before saying such an off-putting comment to him -the Emperor.  After months -almost half a year, things had changed between you two, you couldn't deny that.

Claude stared sideways at you and tsked, "Who said I came here to watch a child chase insects?"

It looks a few seconds for the words to sink in. You blushed, heart, skipping beats despite not wanting to.

"The said child is your daughter, pay attention to her. For once you'd make someone happy with your presence." You huffed, looking away with reddened cheeks.

"Only her?" Claude said, sounding almost hopeful with his straight face. Or maybe your ears were deceiving you. "Not you?"

"Only your daughter would be happy with your unannounced," You lifted your fingers and listed, "unwanted, unnecessary presence." You smiled at him sarcastically.

Claude's brow twitched. He grumbled something under his breath.

"Well, good for me, I like someone's presence, even if they are annoying and extremely difficult."

Your cheeks decided it was a good time to turn red. "I can say the same for you, minus the liking part."

"Hmm. Guess we're mutual on something for once." Claude said nonchalantly. You glared at him incredulously. He completely twisted your words!

"But that won't be sufficient. I want the liking part too." Claude murmured to himself, annoyed. There was an uncomfortable stiffness in his body. You had a feeling he was going out of his comfort zone to be more talkative than his normal silent self. If a few sarcastic remarks count as talking.

You heard him and your heart started going on and on, pounding in your ribcage. It wasn't the first time he said something like this, -- you had many experiences of it for the past few months, that never failed to leave you flustered -- and he always looked awkward and uncomfortable while doing so.

You could guess how hard it was for him. Claude didn't do feelings or anything remotely related to emotions. He was more of nasty sarcasm and scary scowl guy who would pull the most disgusted and offended face if you told him it's okay to feel and have emotions. Because Claude de Alger Obelia hated feeling feelings more than he hated talking.