3

CHAPTER THREE: Lagos, escape the nightmare

8 MONTHS LATER: LAGOS

Me and Wanda were sat at a coffee table in Lagos, trying to not look so- suspicious? Which, now being official Avengers, is not easy. In the last eight months, me and Wanda have got extremely close. We spent a lot of time together on the compound when not on missions. It was just our thing.

Wanda added sugar to her cup of tea and stirred it as she looked around.

"All right," Steve said through coms," what do you see?"

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet streets. It's a good target." Wanda replies. I adjust the ball cap on my head and take a sip of my hot drink before speaking up.

"There's an ATM in the south corner though, which means-?" I lower my sunglasses to look at Wanda, waiting for her opinion.

"Cameras." She says looking back at me, I nod.

"Both cross streets are one way." Steve states to us.

"So, compromised escape routes."

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute." Wanda says.

"Thinking of buying one, Maximoff?" I raise an eyebrow at her, teasing. She smiles back at my teasing.

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody which is probably us." Natasha cuts in.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda asks, taking a sip of her tea.

"No way." I say sarcastically.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." Nat tells Wanda.

"Give her a break." I tell her.

"Anybody ever tell you two that you're both a little paranoid?" Sam asks the two of us through coms.

"No." I say bluntly.

"Did you hear something?" Natasha asks.

Steve cuts in on us." Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him."

"And you called me paranoid." I mutter, getting a laugh from Nat from a table not far away from me and Wanda's.

"If he sees us coming that won't be a problem, he kinda hates us."

"Lovely." I finish my tea and smile over at Wanda before glancing around the area again. Sam and Steve spoke for a moment about a garbage truck and I could barely see it from where I was sat.

"It's a battering ram." Nat said, which I somehow understood.

"Go. Now." Cap said. I stood up at his words

"What?" Wanda asked, Natasha was already gone, but I was waiting for her.

"He's not waiting for the police." I say, reaching out my hand for her. She took it and we ran.

We stopped suddenly when we saw the garbage truck slam through the gateway of the institute. I tell Wanda to go around the other way to catch whoever there is in the garbage truck off guard. She does so and I keep going forward, to the institute. Two trucks drove into the institute through their newly makeshift entrance.

Soldiers in black armour emerged from the trucks, firing around the place.

"Sam, remember back at the compound we practiced you flying me around?" I ask. I can hear him sigh but he comes over to me and picks me up.

"Body armour, AR-15's." Cap tells us." I make seven hostiles."

Sam drops me off and flies up to a rooftop, shooting at two soldiers." I make five."

I shoot at some of the men, but it doesn't work that well. I throw the gun behind me and take off my sunglasses and ball cap. Time for some fun.

Blue mist forms around me and my hands. Whenever I didn't properly have my sunglasses on, it allowed my powers to show. Unless I stopped it and told it to go piss off. I held my hand out and my staff formed in it. My armour formed around my neck and down to my chest, a royal blue cape down my back also. I put on my glasses again, this time it was like Stark's. My computer inside it though was called J.E.S.S.I.C.A.

I walked up to the closest of the soldiers and hit him in the face with staff, then to the side with it.

"Four." I say. I watch Wanda elegantly fly down next to me.

"And you were going to tell me you did that when-?" She asked me.

I shrugged." It's more like a party trick."

Sam glided down from the rooftop and caught a soldier that Wanda had lifted upwards." Three." Sam said." Rumlow's on the third floor." He tells Cap who turns up.

"Wanda, just like we practiced." Steve says to her.

"You practice without me?" I ask.

"What about the gas?" Wanda asks, avoiding what I said. I look over at the building and J.E.S.S.I.C.A showed me that there was gas all over the institute.

"Get it out." Steve told her. Wanda pushes Cap up and into the building.

She looks over at me, expecting a response." Okay, so that was cool- you need to get the gas out." I tell her, she nods and smirks at me before turning back to the building.

I turned over to see a few soldiers firing at me and Sam. I pulled my cape over me, it's bulletproof after all. I get my staff handy and slide across the front of one of the trucks before kicking back one of the soldiers.

"Rumlow has a biological weapon." Steve tells us through coms.

"I'm on it." Nat says. I knock out the last soldier and see Sam has flown off to find Rumlow, it was just me and Wanda.

"You good?" I ask her.

"Yeah." She tells me, I can see the gas now in the air, the building is clear.

"We better get there quick." I say.

"Got any other tricks up your sleeve?" She asks me.

"I've tried it once." I say, looking around.

"Oh?"

"Just hold onto me tightly." I tell her. The next thing I know, we're flying upwards, I keep hold of Wanda tightly.

"I've got four, they're splitting up." Sam says.

"I've got the two on the left." Nat says. I land down not that far away from Cap.

"They ditched their gear. It's a shell game now." Steve tells us.

"One of them has it." I say," J.E.S.S.I.C.A, show me something." I say, looking around. I have two men highlighted in Nat's area.

"I'm empty." Sam tells us.

"Nat?" I ask. Just then, I see Cap being thrown across the market.

Rumlow.

Wanda goes to help Cap but I hold her back, I pick up my staff and pull out my sword." Stay here." I tell her.

"Are you crazy?" She asks me.

"Maybe. I'm not sure. We'll find out." I rush to Cap's aid but it doesn't take long for me to be knocked out against a wall. When I come back around I see Wanda trying to stop a huge explosion from happening, only for it to fall into a building. I get up and rush over to Wanda, I can see the worry, the guilt and the horror in her eyes.

"Oh my-" Steve stares up at the building." Sam... We need Fire and Rescue... On the south side of the building. We gotta get up there."