46

CHAPTER FORTY SIX: I meet some new people, uh oh

MONTHS LATER

I walk into the hallway, swiping my fake ID card before hand. Looking around, no one was nearby. I grab my radio and put it up to my mouth.

"Monica where in the name of Odin am I meant to go now?" I ask her, irritated.

"Just- look around." She tells me." It would've been easier if I had went with you-"

"With that very recognisable face of yours? No way." I tell her back. I open a door on my left and see a meeting in action, I close it quickly before I'm noticed." Why is this place so damn big?" I ask.

"S.W.O.R.D. was made to help the world, just like S.H.I.E.L.D-"

I scoff." And this is because S.H.I.E.L.D. went well?" I ask her.

"I am also here." I hear Fury say.

"Good." I mutter.

"As I was saying- just keep looking, Y/N. You'll find the room that looks very much like a vault- you have the code and key with you. It'll be as easy as cake." Monica continues as I open up doors to empty rooms, offices and labs.

At the end of the corridor, there's a locked door. I look through the little window in the door. Good place for an ambush, hard for me to see around corners. I take out the gun Monica had given me as I slowly slide the ID card. The light goes green and I walk in, holding up the gun.

"Y/N? Status?" I hear Fury say. I sigh as I look around, more doors.

"Yeah- I'm good thanks, shut up will you?" I ask." You'll give me away if you're not careful."

"Going radio silent." Monica says.

"Okay James Bond- let's calm down." I mutter to her before putting the radio away.

There was three locked doors on either side of the now larger hallway. On each side of the doors were keypads, they looked pretty high security doors.

Test subjects? Lab rats?

I walk over and look through the window next to one of the keypads. A black haired girl sat crossed legged in the corner of her cell. She looked like she hadn't had a shower in months by the way her face and clothes were. The clothes were old and looked like they'd been used even before this girl- whoever she was.

"She does know you're watching." I turn quickly to a voice. I look over at the opposite cell as I hold my gun up, pointing at the girl on the other side of its window. She had badly dyed purple hair. When I say badly dyed- I mean that in a way of it hadn't been seen to properly in a really, really long time." By all means try to shoot- either way the glass won't crack." She continues.

"What did you say?" I ask her, not moving.

"I told you that Nico does know you're watching her." She says. I glance back at the black haired girl." Why now?" She asks.

"What?" I turn my head back to the purple haired girl.

"Why is somebody checking up on us now? Some of us could've done with it a while ago-" She goes to ramble on about different mental health problems and how none of them in the cells had had a shower for the last three weeks, and were all fed the bare minimum.

"I don't-" I cut her off." I don't work for S.W.O.R.D." I say to her.

"What?" She asks.

"Look- it's a little complicated-" I look around and see the two cameras at the end of the hallway. I sigh and raise the gun, shooting at the two cameras." What happened to you guys?" I ask her.

She shrugs, obviously used to the question by now." Our parents made a few wrong turns in their lives. We wanted to do what was right. So we kinda ran away." She says casually." Turns out we hadn't seen the bigger picture yet."

"So what? They called the cops on you?" I ask.

"Oh no- most of them are... dead." She says the last bit looking down.

"Then how did you end up in the NYC detention centre?"

"Oh- we got caught trying to save the world. I guess the government doesn't like that when it isn't their own..." She trails off in her words.

"I know what you mean." I say, thinking back to those stupid Sokovian Accords." How long you been here?"

"Eight months." She says, leaning against the wall now." That's what they told us anyways."

"Did they give you an end date for all of-" I gesture to the place itself." this?"

"Not really." She shrugs.

Alright Y/N, time to make a choice. Help some people who need it or find Wanda?

Why not do both?

Well probably because-

Both.

I sigh and walk forwards, taking off my glove to reveal the Vibranium arm. I look through the purple haired girl's window." Don't make me regret this." I tell her.

"Regret what?" She asks. I turn back and let myself return to normal, my scar, my eyes and my hair- all back to normal. I grab hold to the handle tightly, ripping the door open. I put the door on the floor and walk into the cell to the girl who just stood there against the wall, shocked." You're-"

"Yes- I know- I'm helping you out-"

"Oh my god-" She says

"Not quite." I say." Gonna help me get the other five out?" I ask her, holding my hand out for her.

"Right-" I help her out of the cell.

"What's your name?" I ask her as I walk towards the black haired girl's cell.

"Gert." She tells me firmly.

I nod in acknowledgment." Nice name." I rip the door open. Before walking over and doing the same to the rest of the cell doors. I give them all a smile and turn to leave through the door when one of them calls after me.

"Y/N? That's it- right?" I turn around to the taller blonde girl.

"Uh- yeah." I smile." Listen- sneak your way out- or you can wait for me and I can come back to get you out-"

"I'm Karolina-" She puts her hand out for me to shake and I look down at it for a moment, hesitant. I shake it firmly and she smiles."- Did you come for us?"

I shake my head," No offence- just being a good Samaritan. I'm here to get a-" Choose your word carefully, Y/N." -college out of a situation." I tell her.

"We can help." A boy walks up next to Karolina." It's the least we could do." He offers me.

"Thanks- but, it's dangerous. I couldn't ask you to-" I go to turn back again.

"We've been through much worse than a detention centre." He says, putting his hand on the door handle." Take us with you for this fight. We fight for the right thing."

"Fight along side me isn't that." I tell him." As if me breaking in here isn't illegal- then the things I've been made to do are."

"We've all done something that can get us in jail." Another boy, taller, says." Just give us the chance."