49

CHAPTER FORTY NINE: Word of the day: Deinonychus

"IS THAT A DINOSAUR?" I ask as we get into the back of the four by four.

"Old Lace is a Deinonychus." Gert corrects me as she get in the other vehicle." It's okay, they're often mixed up with each other." She tells me.

"Huh..." I say, sitting down on the back of the car." Just as long as I know.." I mutter, closing up the front. Fury and Monica both put their foot down on the gas and I shoot at any last few agents who were coming out of the detention centre. We just broke out of the NYC detention centre- with six runaways who had magical weapons and powers. Great.

When Monica has driven far enough away for my liking, I relax a little. I sit down properly, relaxing my grip on my pocketed gun and leaning my head on the back of the car. Karolina was already fast asleep, her head in Nico's lap. Nico leaned against Molly and the both of them looked pretty tired also, but were both determined to stay awake.

"You should all get some sleep." I tell the three of them, turning to Mars." You too. You know it's gonna be a long journey back to the warehouse."

"What's the warehouse?" Nico asks tiredly, barely even keeping her eyes open.

"It's where we lay low." I shrug." Somewhere we don't get caught." There's a long silence as we continue to drive along the road." Get some sleep. I'll explain it all when we get back to the warehouse."

The truck stops suddenly and I wake up from the sleep I was in. I look around, blinking and adjusting to the evening light.

"Hey, we're here." I look over at Monica from the side of me, getting out of the car and patting my head.

I get up and get off the trailer with the others. Mars rushes in front of me, holding Molly's hand and taking her up the staircase.

"If anything weird happens, do know that I'm holding you responsible." Gert says, suddenly next to me, sipping on a soft drink.

"Oh, I will be taking myself accountable, anyways." I admit." Go have a little look around, find yourself a room." I tell her before walking over to the middle part of the warehouse. It wasn't really decorated, just a few old couches and a large table in the middle. Monica walks in also, placing down the fast food bags on the table, Fury on the other hand threw them on the table before putting his hands on his hips.

I'm not mad I'm disappointed I think to myself, snickering.

"Want to explain why the team has more than doubled within fifteen minutes?" He asks.

"They kinda saved my ass- and their own asses." I say, picking up a bag of fries." This isn't up for debate, if they want to stay they can stay- if they want to go they can goddamn go." I say sternly.

"Who?" Nico suddenly walks in, picking up one of the fast food bags.

"I was just explaining that if you want to, you guys can stay for as long as you would like." I say, collapsing on one of the small couches we had.

"I like it here." Alex walks in from one of the offices, also picking up a fast food bag." Like the hostel, but bigger."

"That what-?" Fury turns to him.

"It's what we used to stay in for a while." Karolina wraps her arms around Nico's shoulders and takes a fry from her bag.

"You can stay here as long as you'd like." Monica says eventually.

"You're with her on this?" Fury asks.

"Of course I am."

"We'll only be here for a few months, then you can have the place to yourselves." I say casually, shrugging as I look through one of the fast food bags, not much taking my fancy.

"What? Why?" Nico asks. The whole room goes silent as I look at Monica and Fury.

"Is that a dinosaur?" Darcy asks suddenly, we all look over at her who was looking over at Old Lace, of who was laying down next to me." Sorry- continue." She takes a sip of her milkshake and we go back to the subject.

"You know- when we went into the vault- I was looking for Wanda? Right?" I ask.

"How did S.W.O.R.D. get her in the first place?" Nico asks again.

"I think the question is why." Gert adds on. I look over at Monica for help.

She sighs and walks around the table a little as she speaks, choosing her words carefully and slowly." Wanda has powers that are quite difficult to- match. S.W.O.R.D. were never the biggest fans of the Avengers themselves, so when Wanda once lost control of the powers- they've used against her." There's a pause." Not just her." I look up from stroking Old Lace to see them all looking at me.

"That's one way to put it." Fury says." Maximoff is also one of the most powerful on the planet, she needs to be freed from her captivity."

"Point is- we need to get Wanda away from S.W.O.R.D." I say.

"I don't get it, what happened in the few months we were with S.W.O.R.D.?" Molly asks.

"I died." I explain." Came back to life- twice. Died again. But surprise! I'm still here." I say unenthusiastically.

"We're still in debt to you." Alex says.

"I'm not going to ask you to fight." I say.

"You don't have to." Molly says." I think I speak for all six of us when I say we'll fight with you." I look over at Fury for a second.

"You got them out of S.W.O.R.D. you said you'll let them do what they want. Let them." He smirks.

"Alright then." I say, not even looking away from him, narrowing my eyes." You're in."