42

CHAPTER FORTY TWO: I meet the murderer

tw: Mentions of taking your own life read with caution if sensitive to subject

I limp my way into the kitchen.

"When I said you should sleep, I meant you staying in the bed." Clint says.

"Ha ha, very funny." I mutter." Have you got anywhere with it?" I ask.

"Yeah... we've found Rachel." Mars says.

"Who is she?" I ask.

"Jennifer Wilson's only daughter." Fury says.

"Daughter?" I furrow my eyebrows." We need to find her, I need to question her-" Monica says something, too quiet for me to hear." What?" I ask.

"She's dead." She says looking up at me.

"How long has she been dead? A month or two? There has to be a connection-"

"I doubt the connection. She's been dead fourteen years." Fury says." Technically she was never alive." He moves forward towards me." Rachel was Jennifer Wilson's still born daughter fourteen years ago." The whole room goes into complete silence. I think for a moment before a penny drops.

"She scratched the name into the floor. She was dying." I say." She was trying to say something. She was trying to tell us something."

"Oh my gods she's totally lost it." Clint says, arms crossed, leaning against the fridge.

"She wasn't thinking of her daughter." I walk over to the laptop and type in a website." Monica, the luggage label, it had an email address on it."

She walks over to it and reads it out." Jennie dot pink at mephone dot org dot uk." She looks up at me." What does that mean?"

"It means I've been way too slow. She didn't have a laptop or anything like that. She did her business on her mobile phone. So it's a smartphone, email enabled. So there's a website for her account-" I go onto the mephone website and two blank boxes come up. One for username and one for password." Her user name is her email address-" I type it in quickly." And now- anyone want to take the guess of the password?"

"Rachel..." Darcy says.

"So we can read her email... how does that help?" Fury asks as I type.

"Don't talk too loud, Fury, you'll lower everyone's IQ." I mutter." We can do more than read her emails. As it's a smartphone, it had GSP. And if you loose it-" I click onto a new page and a new screen comes up with a little clock with the arms spinning in circles." You can find it online."

Your phone will be located in under three minutes!

"Y/N. Your taxi has arrived." Amy says walking in from the hallway.

"I didn't order a taxi." I frown.

"She's leading us right to the person who killed her." Clint smiles.

"She was rather clever." I say.

"Y/N this taxi driver-" Amy starts.

"Amy isn't it that time of the day were you make your last cup of tea for the night?" I mutter as I get up.

"We're gonna have a map reference, not a name." Fury says.

"It's a start!"

"Y/N..." Monica says.

"It narrows it down from anyone in London. The first properly lead you- we've all had." I say.

"Y/N!" Monica says again. I turn and Monica is staring at the screen.

"Where is it? Where?" I ask her.

"It's here..." She says." It's here in this exact cottage." She turns the laptop to face us and she isn't wrong.

"But- that doesn't make any sense." I frown again." How?"

"I don't know, but I'll be arresting this friend of yours when we find it." Fury says.

He goes to walk past me and I stop him, hand on his shoulder." Leave Amy out of this." I say quietly.

"She's the one and you know it." He says back.

"No... I don't know that." I say." Let's get clear evidence first before any of this gets out of hand." I look up at him for a moment." Fury- she has family- family that wouldn't even think of such a thing-" I stop suddenly.

Who do we trust, even if we don't know them?

Who passes unnoticed, wherever they go?

Who hunts in the middle of a crowd?

Fury looks at me." Y/N? Are you okay?" I drift back into reality and try to control my breathing.

"Yeah..." I say quietly." I just- need some fresh air... Stay here." I say to him." Look for the phone." I walk to the door as Amy passes us by back into the kitchen. I open the front door and walk through.

The Taxi was one of those black cabs you'd see tourists want to go in while traveling through London. Leaning against it, the Taxi driver.

"Taxi for Y/N Y/L/N." He says cheerfully.

I do up the buttons on my jacket." I didn't order a taxi." I say.

"Doesn't mean you don't need one." He tilts his head a little.

"You're the cabbie- the one who stopped outside Northumberland Street. It was you... Not your passenger." I say.

He smiles." No one ever thinks about the cabbie. It's like we're invisible. Just the back of a head. Proper advantage for a serial killer."

"Is this a confession?" I ask, glancing at the front window of the cottage and back at him.

"Oh... Yes." He says." And I'll tell you what else- if you go and get those guys now, I won't run. I'll sit quiet and they can take me down. I promise."

"Why?"

"Because you're not going to do that." He says.

"Am I not?" I ask.

"I didn't kill those four people, Admiral. I spoke to them, and they killed themselves. Go and get your friends now, and I promise you this- I will never tell you what I said." He turns and goes to get into his cab.

"No one else will die though." I say, he looks up." I believe that's a result."

"And you won't ever understand how those four people died. Which result do you care about?"

I glance at the window again." If I did want to understand- what would I do?" I ask.

"Let me take you for a ride..." He goes to get in again.

"So you can kill me too?" I ask.

"I'm not going to kill you, Admiral. I'm going to talk to you... And you're going to kill yourself."