17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: No more hope, no more emotions

FIVE YEARS LATER

I put the mask on, then my hood before taking out one of the knives. I open my other hand out and let one of the water pipes burst, only two men left and I could go home. Nice.

One lunges forward, fists clenched, as if that was gonna do something. I dodge the first punch and take the other hand, slicing it clean off with the knife. They screamed at the pain as I kicked them to the side, stabbing them in the back.

I then turn back to the other, struggling to open the locked door. I take the knife out and wipe it with my glove. I throw it, only centimetres away from their own head. Slowly, they turn to me.

"Zachem ty eto delayesh'? Why are you doing this?" They ask me.

"Eto ne tvoye delo. That's not your business."

"Vy sdelali eto so vsemi nami, pochemu? You've done this to all of us, why?" They move away from the door, causing us to walk in a slow circle.

"Vy ubivali drugikh. Oni etogo ne zasluzhili. Polovina mira poluchila Thanos - ty poymal menya. You've killed others. They didn't deserve it. Half of the world got Thanos- You got me." I pull the knife out of the door and turn around quickly, throwing it at them, straight at the heart. They stumble to the ground, blood spilling out from the wound. I lean down and take the knife out of the dead body and put it away.

"Why- why are you here?" I ask, not daring to look up at the other present.

"I could ask you the same question." Natasha says.

"This is my job, okay." I say through gritted teeth.

"Take the mask off."

"No."

She looks at me and walks forward slowly." Please take it off." She says softly.

I shake my head," No, no you're just here to mess with my brain. I won't let you- I WON'T." I shout, not even realising though.

"Take off the mask." I see a singular tear fall down her cheek.

I shake my head," The moment I take it off, my emotions come back. I can't afford it."

"You've still got her ring." She says, pointing out the ring on my thumb.

"Of course I've still-" I stop myself." Why are you here?"

"We've found something." Nat says." It's a chance, maybe we could-"

I take off my mask to show her just how I feel about this." No."

"No?"

"No, don't come up here, five years later saying that you have a solution. Because, for the last five years I've told myself this is a bad dream. I haven't woken up from it yet."

"So because Wanda is gone, you decide to kill people?"

"Isn't Clint doing something similar?" I ask, catching her off guard.

"How do you-"

"There are not many people who would pick the name Ronin, get away with so many murders and have such a crack shot." The door behind me opens and closes again, Steve clears his throat." You know, if you're going to kidnap me, at least think about your actions." I turn around to Steve." How's Tony? Good I hope."

"You're one of the smartest people I know." He starts, I scoff." I mean it, Y/N. Don't act like this-"

"Like what?" I say, giving him my full attention.

"Like you don't miss Wanda." Nat said, I looked over at her and my vision went blurry for the first time in a long time." Killing these people are not going to bring her back."

"I told you it's a job." I say through gritted teeth.

"What about your old job?" She says, hopeful.

"Well I was seen as a criminal in that job also, so it seems that it's stuck with me now." Natasha goes to say something when I say something before." Don't- please don't."

"Don't what?"

"Give me hope, don't give me hope now.. After five years."

"I'm sorry we couldn't give it to you earlier." 

"I've woken up, maybe it was at midnight, maybe it was at nine. But I've woken up, hoping Thanos was a nightmare." I tell her. She steps closer and I try to edge away a little, but I don't want to get any closer to Steve. "And you're come up here, five years late, telling me you've got an idea?" 

"Y/N..." She steps forward again, taking my hand in hers. "We are going to get Wanda back." I look at her in the eyes, unable to even read her expression. I reach up and take the mask off, Nat smiles a little, happy to see my face again. "Pretty cool battle scar." She remarks. "Must've been a big fight." 

"It changed my life." I lean my head against Nat's, closing my eyes. She holds out her arms and hugs me, as I let my tears pour. I was back to my old- emotional- self.