40

CHAPTER FORTY: An old friend puts a gun to my head

Monica takes off the gloves and sighs." I've cleaned it up as much I could but you're gonna need to rest it." I nod as she helps me to sit up on the bed.

"We can't stay here." I say.

"Well you're certainly not going anywhere." Monica says.

"We can't stay in an ambulance. And we can't just sit on the side of the main road. S.W.O.R.D. will find us within the hour." I say." We need to find Rachel, desperately." I magic one crutch for me by my side.

"I was nearly there." Mars says. I nod." I could get it done with something with a connection to the internet."

"That would be easy if someone hadn't made us ditch our phones in a gas station trash can!" Monica says, sending me a glare.

"It's S.H.E.I.L.D. 101 when it comes to being hunted." I say in defence.

Clint crosses his arms." We need somewhere safe and somewhere we won't get caught in."

"Oh yeah let me just get my list out of places to go to in dyer need of help." I say sarcastically.

"Look- we have the case and we need something with the internet connected to it." Fury says.

"I'm gonna hit you round the head in a minute." Valkyrie mutters.

"Me too." I mutter. I see her smirk.

"The point is- we just need to go somewhere for a little while. Somewhere we know that no one will be." Fury says

A name drops into my mind, but I really don't like it." Anyone else got any other ideas?" I ask, looking down at my tattoo on my hand. Everyone stays quiet." We need a new vehicle, something that can fit us all in but not make us look like it's us. I know a place."

"And we're just meant to trust that you know a place?" Darcy says.

"You don't have to trust me, but it's the only plan we've got here." I shrug." Unless anyone here has thought of somewhere else?" Silence." Glad we're all in agreement."

Clint pulls up to the little cottage in the mini van we'd stolen. He turns back to me.

"You sure this is the place?" He asks me.

"Positive." I tell him, looking out at the place.

"I know you have history with her-" He starts.

I give his shoulder a tight squeeze." I'll be fine, Clint, really." I give him one last smile before opening my door and walking out.

The cottage was small and quite frankly in the middle of nowhere. No other buildings surrounding it, London was at least half an hour away. A wooden sigh had been hammered into the ground and in black paint, roughly written up, it said-

NO TRESPASSING

I walk over to the front door and go to knock when the door drifts open by itself. Why put a no trespassing sign up if you're gonna leave the door unlocked? I walk in slowly. The place had most of the light turned off, only the garden had lights on along with the dining room. I walk into the kitchen slowly, making sure that the floorboards don't give me away with their creaking noises. It looked like any other kitchen really, cupboards, drawers, and little fridge magnets on the fridge.

I go to look away when something on the fridge catches my eye. Four magnets hold up a photo, it was a little old and fading its colour from the edges due to the sun. Me, Amy, Rory and Shay were together, holding up one of the awards we had won in a competition. Rory's hair is ruffled up and he looks rather drunk, Amy is on my back smiling and Shay is holding up her guitar.

The memory is small, like a lot of my memories, but it wasn't forgotten. I smile to myself and go to move when I feel something on the back of my head. I raise my hands up a little as the barrel of the gun sits there.

"Looks like someone needs to learn how to read." Her British accent hadn't changed one bit. Not like I had expected it to change.

"And someone needs to learn how to respect old friends." I say turning around to Amy.

"Seriously Y/N?" The gun was still raised at me.

"I like the photo-" I say, gesturing towards it." Very...nostalgic..?"

"Oh for Gods sake Y/N, I will shoot you. Do you know how mad I am at you?" She says.

"Yeah- I fucked up-" I start but I'm stopped by a slap around my face." Ouch?"

"You didn't go to Shay's funeral." She says, I rub my cheek.

"Want me to explain or are you gonna slap me again?" I ask, she grips the gun for a moment before putting it down to the side, crossing her arms and doing that look." I never knew Shay died. And if I did, I would've gone, on the run or not. But every piece of mail that you sent got sent elsewhere-"

"Bullshit." She says." You liked Shay more than friends should."

I stay quiet for a moment," No- she was with Rory. And I had other problems on my mind at the time-"

"More important than us? The group?" She asks.

We stood there in complete silence for a moment, staring at each other." No. I visit her often. Every year at the least. But it's rather difficult when you've got the law against you."

"Then why the hell are you here? To apologise?" She asks me.

"I need to borrow your laptop- or just something that's connected to the internet-" I start.

"What's it for?" She asks.

"There's a serial killer on the loose, gotta stop 'em." I shrug.

"Oh look at me! I'm Y/N. The daughter of the god Loki! Look at me and my big ego!" Amy says. I roll my eyes at her comments." Bring your friends in, and if any of them get on my nerves, I'm not responsible for their death." She says before walking down the hallway.