45

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: Adventure time go brrr

a/n- short chapter

I walk into the kitchen and lean against the wall, arms crossed. They all pile in after me, one after the other.

"Amy, maybe you should go- maybe something interesting is on the TV." I say, not even looking at her.

"But-" She reads the room." Oh- okay..." She walks out of the kitchen.

"Y/N-" Fury starts.

"Don't." I say." Don't think that you did this for something better. Just a little thing to say that she was alive- Fury. That's all I would've needed."

"Well- you know now." He says.

"What? And that's it? No let's try and fix this? Nothing?"

"Well what are you saying?" Monica asks.

"That we find my wife that's what I'm saying."

"Technically you were never married." Valkyrie says. Darcy takes a sip of drink and raises her eyebrows.

"Technically we were still engaged before I made the crash landing." I say.

"So- what are you proposing?" Fury asks.

"First of all- Valkyrie you're going back to Asgard." I say, she goes to argue." That's not negotiable." I tell her, her mouth shuts." Anyone else who doesn't want to go- speak now." I say.

"What about-" Clint makes a gesture of Amy.

"Well- we can't stay here. It's fine we'll say goodbye and be on our way." I shrug." She's got a great family who've taught her the right things." I look at him." When's Nathanial's birthday?" I ask.

"Next week... Why?" He asks.

"You're going back too." I tell him.

"Absolutely not!" He says.

"Not negotiable." I tell him again." The rest of us are going to find Wanda, at all costs."

I walk over to Amy.

"So, this is goodbye?" She asks.

"Yeah..." I say quietly as we look out to the landscape of the hills." I know- I'm a terrible person-"

"Stop." She says.

"Stop what?" I ask.

"Stop hating yourself." She says, looking at me.

"Want me to add that to the bucket list?" I ask.

She chuckles and pulls me into a hug." Write to me, asshole." She says, pulling away.

I nod." I will." Giving her a smile, I turn to Clint.

"For the millionth time- don't do anything stupid." He says, hugging me.

"Now why would I do that?" I ask

"I should make a list for when you next ask me that." He says making me laugh.

"Say happy birthday to Nate for me?" I ask.

He nods." Nat would be proud of you." He says after a moment.

I stay quiet for a second, letting the words sink in." Would she?"

"She would." He says, patting my arm." Go on, go fight." I smile before finally turning to Valkyrie.

"Why is this not up for negotiation?" She asks me as we walk down the steps.

"Because Asgard need their king." I say. She nods silently." Valkyrie-"

"Don't try to explain yourself." She tells me." I don't want to know it. I trust it's honest, and real." I nod. We stand there in total silence for a few moments before hugging." Be safe, soldat." She whispers to me. I smile as I pull away.

When I go to walk away I turn back," Do me a favour? While I'm gone? Ask Misty out? She really likes you. And you'd make a really cute ship." I tell her. She gives me a little glare before smirking, shaking her head in disbelief.

I walk down the path and get into the minivan." Buckle up." Monica tells us.

"What is this a school trip?" Mars asks, I smirk.

"A dangerous one." Fury says.

"So encouraging." I say." Ever thought of being a therapist?" I ask sarcastically.

"Not funny." He tells me as the minivan starts up. I smile a little as we drive down the road and Mars turns to me.

"What's so funny?" They ask me.

"The power broker..." I say quietly.

"What's that?" They ask.

I shake my head." I have no idea." I say honestly.