36

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: "I thought you were dead" said the wise man

You would've thought that the new king of Asgard would be acceptably good enough to walk through London, right? No, not with Valkyrie. She begged me to go in a shop so she could buy a souvenir- which we didn't buy. Fury and Monica led us down different streets until stopping outside of a hospital.

"Did you really drag me all the way here- and this is it?" I ask. The place on the outside was pretty dirty and the only clean parts were the windows.

"Oh- just come on will you." Nick leads us in through the revolving doors, down a corridor and up the lift, down another two corridors before stopping outside a room. He looks both ways and behind us before going in. I didn't really expect anyone else to be in the room, but I guess we're all full of surprises.

"I thought- the deal was for you to get help that we knew." He says. Clint wore his casual day clothes and had his arms crossed and was looking between me and Valkyrie.

She nudges me." You still look like a local." She smirks.

"Oh- uh-" I change my looks back to my normal self and put my jacket on a hook that was on the side, along with my hat on top. Okay, don't get me wrong, Clint was the last friend to see me alive, so you would've thought he would have something nice to say when he saw me. Something along the lines of- Hey! I missed you! or How are you? I can't believe what happened!

But, instead, I got in response-" I thought you were dead." He looks me dead in the eyes when he says it, an unimpressed and angry look on his face.

I avoid eye contact." Gets boring." The room goes quiet for a moment and Monica breaks the silence.

"The woman's name is Jennifer Lawrence." She reveals a head of a woman's body under a white sheet of cloth." The police and government have kept this away from the papers and media. Try not to make that changed."

I nod and inspect the body a little." Jewellery?" I ask looking up at Clint and Fury.

"Uh- yeah- I can get that out for you-" Fury fumbles around with a box.

"I took photos of the crime scene." Clint says as I continue to look." If you'd like to uh- look."

"I'll have a look later-" Fury hands me the box." Monica, Fury. I'm gonna need a doctor." I say standing up straight." A bloody good one."

There's a moment of silence as I look around the room before Fury breaks it.

"I'll be right back-" He takes a phone out of his pocket, holding it up in the air and shaking it as he left through the double doors. They flapped back and fourth after he'd left.

"One of us obviously smell." Valkyrie says.

"Well it isn't me." I mutter.

"I know a doctor." Monica says. Before we an even say anything back to her, she takes her phone out and starts to tap and type away. I look over at Clint, eyebrows furrowed. He shrugs." On her way." Monica says.

"How long with she take?" Clint asks. I sit down on a stool and look through photos from the crime scene that Clint had put out.

"No more than fifteen minutes." Monica shrugs.

Fury walks back in, phone to his ear." Okay- I'll see you then." He says down the phone before ending the call and putting the phone.

"Banner?" I ask, trying to not add too much hope in my voice.

"Hanford." Fury says.

I furrow my eyebrows again and look over at Clint opposite me." Who?" I mouth to him.

"Hanford." He mouths, shrugging.

"Helpful."

"They're a little outa your league." Fury says." Don't take it personally."

"Wait- you got a doctor?" Valkyrie asks Fury.

"Yeah... They'll be here shortly." Fury says.

"Well, I'm not one for competition but it looks like we've got ourselves a race."

"Bullshit. You love competitions." I say to her.

"Shut up."

I chuckle to myself as I place down my winning hand of rummy. Clint sighs and so does Valkyrie. For the last fifteen minutes, Fury and Monica had been bickering back and fourth about the situation.

"No spells?" Valkyrie checks.

"Want to check my sleeves?" I counter, she rolls her eyes as she collects the cards.

The doors open as I take a sip of coffee from a paper cup. I place it down as I look over at those at the door.

I turn to the two that had been the inviters." So- when did this become a daycare?"

"To be fair- they're 16" Fury starts

"17 next month!" The kid corrects.

I furrow my eyebrows." Do you want me to teach you what the word safety means?"

"No- But- just give Morgan a chance-"

"Mars!" The kid corrects, again. I hold back a smirk.

"Right- give Mars a chance- you'll love 'em."

"I don't want a kid's blood on my hands, Fury." I say leaning forward.

"You won't have it on your hands." He tells me.

I look back over at the other who was now stood next to Monica." Do I know you?"

"I'm Doctor Darcy Lewis." She says.

"She worked at-" Monica does a hand gesture.

"You can say the word it's not deadly." I say, I give a glance at Darcy." Gay." I say, forgetting to murmur it.

"Pardon?" Valkyrie spits out her tea and Clint snickers for a moment.

"What?" Monica crosses her arms.

"Nothing- uh. Hey." I say monotone as I take a lot of interest in my cup of coffee.

"Hey." Darcy says, same tone.

"The body is over here if you'd like to-" Clint gets up and shows the two the dead woman's body.

Monica and Fury walks over to me." Gay?!" Monica hisses to me.

"Oh I'm sure you were not the person who gave her those bruises on her neck last night." She goes quiet as I look up." Listen- I really couldn't give a damn about who you sleep in bed with-"

"How on earth could you know about the sleeping together?" Monica asks.

I look at her and raise an eyebrow." What's it like not being in my head? It must be so nice-"

"How do you know?" She repeats the question.

"You're wearing the same perfume. The chances that is by accident is off the scale of one to at least five hundred, and that's just the perfume- If you'd like to know about how you've got similar creases on you're clothes-"

"Y/N?"

"Yes?" I ask.

"Shut up."