38

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: Clint messages a murderer, Cint thinks he knows everything, I hate Clint

"Alright, you lot- we found the case. No need to thank us." Valkyrie says as we walk back into the lab.

"You know, technically all you did was stab a few things that were in the skip." I say as I put my hat on the hook after my jacket.

"And what did you do?" She asks as Monica puts the suitcase on the table top.

"I basically told you where it would be." I say.

"How did you know where it would be?" Fury pipes up.

"The murderer would've had the case and only realised afterwards that they still had it. Keeping it is basically saying you were the one who killed Jennifer Lawrence. And so, they wanted to get rid of it quickly. It was only a few blocks down from where the body was found." I say. I look over at Mars and Darcy who were sat over a laptop." Got anything, yet?"

"She lived in Cardiff... If that helps." One of them calls back.

"Carry on looking." I say as I look down at the now unzipped suitcase. Everything there but...." Oh this one is good." I say.

"What?" Valkyrie asks.

"Doesn't matter right now. Which one of you has signal?" I ask. They all check their phones and Clint hands his over to me. I check the tag and add a new number to the phone. I hand it to Valkyrie." Message this, word for word. What happened at Lauriston Gardens? I must have blacked out. Twenty-two Northumberland Street. Please come."

"You blacked out?" Monica asks.

"What? No.. no!" I look over at Valkyrie." Sent?"

She looks up from the phone and places the it down on the table." Sent."

"Look." I say to them, looking down at the open case." Do you see what's missing?"

"From the case? How would we know?" Fury asks.

"Her phone. Where's her mobile phone? There was no phone on the body, no phone in the case. We know she had one thanks to the tag on the case there- Clint just texted it." I say.

"Maybe she left it at home." Monica says.

"She has a string of lovers and she's careful about it. She never leaves her phone at home when she lives all the way over in Cardiff. That's around a three hour journey in traffic."

"Um... Why did you just send that text?" Clint asks suddenly.

"Well, Clint, the question is: where is her phone, now?" I ask back.

"She could've lost it." Fury says.

"Yes..." I say." Or..."

"The murderer..." Monica says." You think the murderer has the phone?"

"Maybe she- left it when she left her case. Maybe the murderer took it from her for some reason. Either way, the balance of probability states the murderer has her phone."

"Sorry... What are we doing? Did you just text a murderer? On my phone? What good will that do?" Clint asks. His phone starts to ring suddenly, we all look down at it on the table. I raise an eyebrow.

"A few hours after their last victim, and now they receive a text that can only be from her. If somebody had just found that phone they'd ignore a text like that... but the murderer..." I watch down at the phone until it stops ringing."... The murderer would... Panic." I slap the top of the suitcase, shutting it up." Come on- uh Clint and Valkyrie? Yeah you two." I say.