1

“You are asleep in this world, but awake in another”

“How on earth am I supposed to live here?” I snapped.

“It’s just for a week Crescent. Your room will be ready by then. Come on sister, don’t be a troublemaker now.” My brother tried to convince me.

“Whatever.” I dragged my luggage as I crossed Cayden. I was already annoyed by the fact that I had to move to his place in the middle of my summer session. It was all so mysterious, because mom and dad literally did not gave me any explanation. A week back, they just told me that I am changing school and will be attending the same as my brother. Cayden Bella Nord, or my brother, was attending Silver Oakland academy, which was in the Hillsborough town of North Carolina. I am still mad that I had to move from the sunny lifestyle in California to this cloudy, wet, cold and damp weather. Nothing suits me here- my lifestyle or even the people. 

I entered Cayden’s apartment and as expected, it was a mess. There were pizza boxes, beer cups, and clothes all around. Amazing! It has been worse till now and I can’t wait to see how horrific it will be from here. Cayden came beside  me with a sorry look. I just rolled my eyes and stomped in. He took me to his bedroom and placed my belongings. Fun fact- I hoped to see his bedroom even messier, but turns out that it was immaculate than I expected. 

“How come, your bedroom is so clean?” He gave me a confused look.

“Well, you see, I hardly sleep in since I have been doing night shifts. So, you can say it is unused and ready for you.” I gave him an understanding nod and started to look around the room. The walls were white in color with a mandala painting in blue. The bed was clean and freshly made. There was a study table on the right side of the bed with a chair and a small pot of lavender.  The room wasn’t big but enough for me and had an elegant and aesthetic touch. There was a large glass door right beside the study table that opened up to the balcony. It overlooks the Eno River. The tall, dark and shady woods and the clear crystal like water gave it a mesmerizing view. In a nutshell, I actually liked the peace and tranquility that surrounded the room.

“Crescent…” I turned to look at my brother who was now standing at the doorway. “I know, I did not visit you back in California for two years and you are mad about it.” I bit my lower lip- a habit when I am nervous or trying to gulp down the harsh words that might flung out of my mouth. Cayden continued, “… but I just want you to know, that you always have been my little sister and you still are. I am sorry that I was so indifferent towards you guys, especially when you needed me the most. I missed you, and I want to make up for the lost time. Could you please forgive me, maybe?”

I knew I am a cold-hearted bitch. All my life, I have been a kind of rebel and my parents had to deal with a lot of complaints because of me. Cayden was my light to be honest. He is the perfect elder brother that any sister could ever ask for. With his darkish black and brown hair, and eyes like deep, blue ocean, he was the most popular guy back in our hometown. He is elder to me by three years and the most decent and well-behaved guy. He was admired, loved and adored by everyone. While, on the other hand, people feared and hated me. Even though we had so many differences, Cayden still believed in me. Mom and dad did not have to worry about our academics. While Cayden was the famous basketball player, I on the other hand was pretty much famous for beating up guys. I am not all proud about it, but as I said, I was a rebel and a badass bitch and that didn’t make Cayden treat me differently.

Cayden moved to Hillsborough three years back. It was shocking to me since he always wanted to study in NYU. I didn’t know why he moved here, but I was convinced later that he actually wanted to study in Silver Oakland. To be honest, I never heard of it till Cayden moved here. Mom said that it is quite underrated since the academy is from a small town but has a deep history and amazing faculty. Weird that she knows about it so much!