13

“Was it real or was it all in my head?”

I feel a hand placed on my shoulder and I look up. It was Nyall. He gave me a soft smile and sat beside me. It’s been more than 12 hours that Cayden is in ICU. I am restless and worried as anything. When Rieka gave me the news, all I remember was running towards the spot, and seeing Cayden lying all covered in blood. It happened in the front courtyard. One of the bullies made a junior sit in their car and forced him to drive. Cayden was on his way to his car, when this lil’ fellow hit him. As per the witnesses, my brother went all flying in the air and then got stopped after his head hit hard against the wall. The academy is taking action against the students who were involved, but that hardly matters now. All I care about is Cayden to wake up and greet me with that charming smile as always!
“What did the doctor say?” Nyall asked me softly.
“The injuries are deep. He hit his head hard. They are saying it is a miracle that he is still alive.” I answered all quietly with tears brimming in my eyes. Nyall placed his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in close. I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore and started sobbing placing my head on his shoulder. He tried to calm me down.
“He will be okay. We all know how strong Cayden is.” I sniffed at his words and got hold of myself.
“It sucks you know…” Nyall looked at me. “It sucks that we fought a month back and we still did not resolve it. I have been such a bitch to him. And I hate myself so much for this.”
“You didn’t know that he will be in such a deadly accident. Don’t beat yourself about it. He will be okay. You should get some rest Crescent.”
“I don’t want to. I will be staying here until Cayden wakes up and cusses the hell out of me for not talking to him. I am going to stay here.” I said being all stubborn. No one can move me away from my brother.
“Did you eat anything?” Nyall asked and I shook my head. He sighed and then got a protein bar from his bag. “Eat this. If Cayden finds out that his sister got malnourished while he was in the hospital, he will make sure to decapitate me. And I just wanna save my fucking ass, so EAT!” Nyall’s words made me smile a bit and I take the protein bar. I was halfway through it, when the doctor came out. Both Nyall and me stood up and greeted him.
“Did you inform your parents Crescent?” The doctor asked me.
“Well, I don’t think Cayden would want me to. But I want to.” I said looking all stupid at the doctor.
“I take it that you guys live faraway. Well, he is 20 so basically he doesn’t need any parental permission, but to be on the safer side. However, that is up to you guys.” Nyall nodded at the doctor’s words.
“How is he now?” I asked.
“His vitals are doing okay. Nothing good or bad but just okay.” I sigh as tears started running down my cheeks once again. The doctor notices it and pats my head. “Don’t lose hope. He will be alright.” I nodded at his words.
“Thank you doctor. When can we meet him?” Nyall asked.
“He still isn’t in his senses. You guys can see him though as we will be moving him to his cabin in sometime. I will take leave now as I have other patients to take care of. Please do not worry. Things will be okay.” He gave us a small smile and walked away. Nyall and I stood there all lost, not knowing what more to dread about. I just wanted to see Cayden. I want him to wake up and talk about all those nonsense stuffs that he used to. I was shattered and pissed at the same time. If only, I could get hold of those bastards whose sheer carelessness made my brother suffer in the worst possible way.
“What did Dean say about those fucktards?” I asked. Nyall turned at me with a shocked expression. Well, he really was having a hard time to believe the fact that it came out of my mouth!
“They got suspended for now. But I guess, the education board will take up the matter in their own hands. Cayden is the head boy and moreover, he is basically one of the gems that Silver Oakland has. So they won’t let this case just turn into nothing.”
“I hope they rot in hell.” I murmur.
“I know you mad, but calm down. Let’s just pray for Cayden to recover soon.” I nodded at Nyall’s words and was about to reply when we heard the doors open. We both perked up to see the nurses bringing Cayden out. He was unconscious and had a series of medical tubes and stuffs on him. His head was all covered in bandage. There were bruises all around and one of his hands was plastered. I controlled my tears at the sight of him. The nurses passed us and Nyall and I followed. Nyall got hold of my hand as we walked down the corridor. They got into the elevator and so did we. I was looking at Cayden and placed my hand on his. He didn’t move nor shudder. I just wanted a small reaction from him, anything for that matter.
The elevator door pinged and I realized we were on the 16th floor. The nurses fidgeted a bit and got Cayden finally out. We followed them to Cayden’s cabin. He was placed in his new room finally. The room overlooked the Hillsborough town. It was a beautiful sight and I would love to gaze at it but right now, it was not the situation. The nurses set him up and then left. It was all silent, except the beeping of the machines. The sound was giving me anxiety attacks as I looked at a peacefully sleeping Cayden.
“I will stay the night. You go back.” I looked up at Nyall’s words.
“Nope. I am not going anywhere. I will stay by my brother. You can make…”
“It’s not your choice. It is an order. Thyone will be here in sometime and she will be dropping you off. I am staying the night. You have been here since morning, and at this rate, we will see you next to him.” I stayed quiet.
“What if Cayden wakes up and asks for me?” I ask.
“We will make sure that either Thyone or Rieka reaches at your place and brings you down to him ASAP.” Nyall said all stern. I nodded hesitantly and start sobbing again. Nyall engulfs me in a tight hug as he pats my head and I continue to drench his shirt with my tears.
It was 20 minutes later, Thyone walked in to the cabin. Her eyes were all red and puffy from all the crying, yet she forced a smile seeing me. I was sitting beside Cayden, as Nyall was placed on the couch in the corner. Thyone came up to me, and I hug her tightly. We both were having a difficult time, since it is about our most important person in life. When I pulled back, she seemed a bit calm. I got away and let her sit beside him. She held his hand and just kept staring at him. I went and stood beside Nyall, when Thyone called me.
“Crescent, the car is waiting for you. My driver knows your address. Drop me a text when you reach home.” I looked at Nyall and he nodded. I didn’t want to leave, but I knew I had no choice. I grabbed my bag, and planted a kiss on Cayden’s forehead. Thyone smiled at me and I returned it. I was heading outside; when Nyall said he wants to accompany me. I nodded and he walked out with me. I looked at Cayden once again and headed out.
The car was parked right at the entrance. Nyall greeted the chauffeur and so did I. After making sure that I am comfortable, the car took off and I waved Nyall a bye. We left the hospital. I checked my phone and saw texts from my friends. They were all worried. I decided to give them a detailed explanation of everything. Shayla and Rayne were with me when we found Cayden lying all unconscious. Arya joined us soon when she got the news. They were here with me till the evening, when I begged them to head back home. They really gave me the strength while my brother was in the emergency room.
By the time I was going to hit the send button after all the writing, I realized that I was parked outside my home. I climbed off and saying a ‘thank you’ made my way to the doorway. Thyone’s car reverted back and left. I was looking for the keys, when I looked up and gasped. Lorcan was standing at the doorway with a small smile on his face.
“Hey.. I didn’t know you would be here.” I said quietly.
“I wanted to see how you are doing. Hospital wasn’t the right choice as your brother’s friends were there, so I thought it’s better to meet you when you come back.” I nodded listening to him.
“How long have you been waiting?” I asked.
“Just a few hours. Doesn’t matter. How is Cayden?”
“Okay. The doctor said not too good, not too bad, just okay.” I replied quietly as tears started rushing down again. Lorcan walked up and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him as I just placed my head on his chest. His fingers were in my hair as he tried to console me.
“He will be alright. Don’t worry about him. Everyone knows how strong Cayden is.” I break from the hug and look at him. He places the strands of my hair behind my ears and cups my face with his hands. Honestly, not the most beautiful sight that he ever witnessed since I had water running down from my nose too. Gross! “Did you eat anything?”
“A protein bar.”
“And?” I shook my head and he sighed. “You need to eat. Do you have anything at your home?”
“I don’t know. I will see once I get inside. You want to come in?” I asked looking at him straight in the eyes. Lorcan seemed a bit shocked but then he nodded. I unlocked the door and then lead him to our floor. Lorcan was in awe when he saw our small yet cute apartment.
“Make yourself at home. I will go change.” He nodded at me and then placed himself on the couch. I went to my room and dashed for the bathroom. I was tired and sad but being with Lorcan, it made me feel better. My mind kept traveling back to the moment when I found Cayden lying in a pool of blood, and a sob came out but I cupped my mouth. It wasn’t easy for me to accept that my brother was in this serious situation. I looked at myself, and a ghost stared back at me. Seriously? So, this is how I met Lorcan? God, I look retarded.
I freshened up, changed and then headed out. Glancing at the mirror for one last time, I made my way to the living room. Lorcan wasn’t there on the couch and my heart skipped a beat. Did he leave? I heard some noise from the kitchen and walked towards it. As I entered, I see Lorcan, with his back towards me, near the stove. Two plates were put up at the dining table as he was doing something. I was kinda baffled by what is going on.
“Lorcan?” He turns around and smiles when he sees me. There goes my heart again!
“I saw macaronis so I thought let me make you some Mac and cheese. How does it sound?” I smiled.
“Amazing. Let me help you.” I walk towards him. He was mostly done yet I tried to help him with whatever was left to do. Once it was over, we sat down to eat. I didn’t know I was hungry until I took the first bite. My eyes closed and I literally moaned as I was having a foodgasm. When I opened my eyes, Lorcan was smirking. I rolled my eyes and got back to eating. He made conversations during the whole dinner and it was fun as he talked about his most embarrassing situations in his life. I felt at ease and was glad that he decided to stay back.
After dinner, we planned on binging something. I wasn’t sleepy and honestly I wasn’t planning to sleep the whole night! Don’t get me wrong, I just wanted to sit and talk with him about everything. I liked the closure between us.
“What do you want to watch?” I asked.
“I have no choices. You tell me?”
“Let’s watch Kimi no na wa. Okay?” I looked at him and he was staring at me all confused.
“You are into anime?” He asked and I nodded. He face palmed himself and I was taken aback. Oh my god, is he uncultured?(weeb ref.)
“It is okay if you want to watch something else.”
“No, I mean, I have only watched Death Note. I wanted to try, but I got busy. Let’s watch it.” He gave me an assured smile and I started the movie.
I went back to the couch and sat down. He pulled me closer to him and I smiled looking up. He smiled back and we turned back to the TV screen as the intro ‘Yumetourou’ filled the room. I could fill his grip around my waist as we both were engulfed in the movie. My head was placed on his shoulder. I smiled to myself that he was here, beside me, holding me and caressing me. My heart leaped and I suddenly shuddered at the thought of what was happening to us. I look up and see Lorcan already looking down at me.
“You okay?” He asked in that dreamy voice of his and I just nodded. He didn’t turn away as his gaze was fixed on me. I bit my lip out of nervousness, and he leaned down as our lips touched. My hand cupped his face as he held me gently while kissing him. Suddenly, he swoop me up and made me sit on his lap. I gasped against our kiss but he just kept teasing with his tongue. I could feel his hands traveling down as he grabbed my butt while kissing. I kept kissing him with the same intensity as I tucked at his hair hard. The kiss was wild and passionate and we both were panting from all that hotness. I pulled back and saw him smiling as he leaned forward once again to plant a small peck on my lips.
"You make me happy." His voice was hoarse but enough to make me smile and blush hard. The movie was still ongoing but a different scene was going on in the living room. I got off his lap and snuggled beside him. He kept holding me as we continued watching the movie.
That night, I slept like a baby wrapped in the warmth of Lorcan.